• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter/cutter and laminator, wide format

garrettdelano

First time poster here. I'd just like to start off by saying THANKS! Earlier this year I was dropped into a situation that involved me, a broken Roland SP540V, a user manual, and a need to produce 500 32 sq. ft. signs for our company.

:help I didn't even know was solvent printing was.

Long story short, I spent weeks scouring the forums reading everything on repair (first because i had to fix the darn thing) cleaning, maintenance, cutting, proper printing technique for media and a ton of other topics. The information I have found on this forum has been invaluable. I would not have been successful without this forum and the expertise you guys have brought to the table.

Now, I had so much fun doing it, I've decided to make this a major part of my own business. When I started, I didn't have a choice which kind of printer I got. Now I have a choice and I want to ask your opinion. I'm looking for a plotter / cutter and a heated laminator. I have approximately 12k to spend on a combo and laminator and want to know what will get me the best bang for my buck. I picked up printing on the Roland pretty fast and think I could pick up printing on other printers just as fast. What are your suggestions?

MrSalumi

Welcome! I know the feeling of starting out fresh. This site is a great tool for those who make use of it. With regard to your question about which setup is preferred... You'll get a lot of different answers. I use a Roland Printer and a Graphtec Plotter. I love the Roland and am not so in love with the Graphtec... I usually liquid laminate or send it off to a partner for Lam if needed (Next purchase is a laminator)

For 12k unfortunately you're not going to get very far. My advice would be to buy a great used printer (I think PCCS has an SJ540 for 8k), a used plotter for 1200-1500, and a chinese, ehhm excuse me.... Cascade cold laminator for 2-3k.. Then grow in to your stuff and upgrade from there...

my 2c

garrettdelano

MrSalumi,

Thanks for responding, I am planning on buying a used printer and have a pretty good relationship with our dealer in Portland. I'm trying to stick my feelers out there and see where his prices stand in the market.

What is PCCS? What model Roland do you have?

How do you feel about Mutoh Valuejet? I've seen a few of those around and like the wave printing method they use and they seem to be pretty affordable even if they are slow.

MrSalumi

Sure thing!

PCSS is Pacific Coast Sign Supply. They are one of the Roland dealers in Portland. If you don't already know about them you should check them out. Denco is good too but they don't usually have used equipment for sale. Whatever you do, go soljet!

I have an SJ540ex with bulk ink system on it. It's a workhorse but damn if she doesn't keep working! Gotta love Roland! Let me know if you'd like more info on my specific Roland experience and I'd be glad to help!

I'm not to sure about the Mutoh. I have heard good and bad things but never really had any experience with them.. What's the deal with your employer's machine? Maybe you should convince them to sell you theirs and upgrade to a newer model...

Last edited:

401Graphics

Get a separate printer cutter. Much better when doing high production. I have a Mutoh 1204 with a Graphtec FC8000 54" (Q54)

garrettdelano

I've been using Denco up to this point, didn't know of anyone else around that supplies or deals. I just noticed you are in Portland! Hello from across the river!

Soljet, got it! We put a bulk ink system on ours too and ran the day lights out of it. Not interested in buying theirs for two reasons. I had to clean the encoder strip every other day and on the generic adhesive backed vinyl (Avery), we were still only printing 65 sq ft per hour. Slow as hell. Looking for something significantly faster without banding.

garrettdelano

401Graphics, how has your experience been with the Mutoh 1204? Did you like the wave printing the Mutoh utilizes? How was the speed and was it reliable?

Edit: CP signs, how do you like the Mutoh 1204?

401Graphics

401Graphics, how has your experience been with the Mutoh 1204? Did you like the wave printing the Mutoh utilizes? How was the speed and was it reliable?
I've had it for 3 years now, not once have I had to replace anything. I do like the wave printing. I find it to be a little faster than the 2 rolands i have used in the past (SP300v and XC540)

thewvsignguy

I second the 1204 and the Q54. Nice speed on the printer and the cutter is a re-branded graphtec. It was our first eco-sol printer, had a print n cut thermal printer before that.

Have had our Valuejet for two years now and with just routine maintenance (clean the wiper, cap station and around the print head) it should last for years. My biggest gripe about the 1204 is the stoooopid waste tank tray. Instead of a bottle for the spent ink to drain into after cleaning cycles it has this tray on the side. Aside from the tray you have to replace the three pads every 2-3 months at a cost of $15 for the 3.

Love the wave printing and with the correct profile greatly eliminates banding. We use Flexi 10.5 for a RIP and the biggest learning curve is learning the correct profiles.

MrSalumi

I've been using Denco up to this point, didn't know of anyone else around that supplies or deals. I just noticed you are in Portland! Hello from across the river!

Howdy! Yep.. Denco, PCSS, and Multicraft Plastics are who I use.. They'll all price match so check around if you are bargain hunting!!

Last edited:

g&eprinting

I didn't realize that the q130 I had was actually better than a regular graphtec because of the more choices for crop marks when contour cutting. I actually use smaller crop marks and three of them instead of four and it lines up real well. Better than using the four larger ones.

401Graphics

My biggest gripe about the 1204 is the stoooopid waste tank tray. Instead of a bottle for the spent ink to drain into after cleaning cycles it has this tray on the side. Aside from the tray you have to replace the three pads every 2-3 months at a cost of $15 for the 3.
i never replaced my waste pads ever, just dump the ink and put the tray back in.

CP Signs

Oh ya,,,the nice waste tank. If your stuck or just cheap, maxi pads work great,,,,,they are made to absorb!!!!

CP Signs

Yep. Tried it and worked fine. Lol. Was grocery shopping with my wife and I grabbed a box and she looked at me with that look on her face,,,,,, it was funny.

thewvsignguy

Ummmm, maybe in a pinch I'll dump the wasted ink. I just ordered 2 sets and will use em' cause I got em'.

How ofter do you dump the ink? Do you dump the ink when it tells you waste tank full?

The maxi pad thing just creeps me out..... I'll spend the money on the waste tray pads. LOL

401Graphics

Ummmm, maybe in a pinch I'll dump the wasted ink. I just ordered 2 sets and will use em' cause I got em'.

How ofter do you dump the ink? Do you dump the ink when it tells you waste tank full?

The maxi pad thing just creeps me out..... I'll spend the money on the waste tray pads. LOL
Yea i just dump it when it tells me to. Never replaced pads