• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter Recommendation

khoalabear

Hi, I'm looking to get either a new Graphtec CE5000-120 or a new Roland GX-400. I understand both are good machines, but does the Roland which costs about $800-$1000 more make it that much better? I'm just doing vinyl cutting as a hobby for now. Can anyone also refer me to a reputable dealer? Thanks!

Jim Doggett

great, now i have another choice to look at? :banghead: thanks for the link, i will check those out too...

LOL. Sorry!!!!!

But if it'll make you feel any better, it's still very much like looking at a Graphtec. Others can explain, but I'm subject to a gag order.

Also our Qe series may look very-much like the CE. But Q is the bomb (with CE-like pricing, sort of) and the stuff of many, many years of heavy-duty us and superb performance, most notable in the cut-quality. Everything weeds so much more easily that you'll be real glad you went top-notch.

Plus, Graphtec's top-of-the-line is the only drum-fed cutter that state it cuts diamond grade reflective ... also our Q Series does ;^)

So not only does it cut sublimely, it cuts tons of things really well. No limit is pretty handy when a unique project comes along and you can serve the client better than the other guy(s).

It pays out. I doubt few who've owned a Graphtec would disagree.

khoalabear

LOL. Sorry!!!!!

But if it'll make you feel any better, it's still very much like looking at a Graphtec. Others can explain, but I'm subject to a gag order.

Also our Qe series may look very-much like the CE. But Q is the bomb (with CE-like pricing, sort of) and the stuff of many, many years of heavy-duty us and superb performance, most notable in the cut-quality. Everything weeds so much more easily that you'll be real glad you went top-notch.

Plus, Graphtec's top-of-the-line is the only drum-fed cutter that state it cuts diamond grade reflective ... also our Q Series does ;^)

So not only does it cut sublimely, it cuts tons of things really well. No limit is pretty handy when a unique project comes along and you can serve the client better than the other guy(s).

It pays out. I doubt few who've owned a Graphtec would disagree.

I'm starting to sway away from the Rolands, so the Q series is basically a "value" version of the CE series? I'm reading about all these machines and i'm getting all my info mixed up...:banghead:

Aklaim

If you want to factor technical support into this, I would go with a Suma. Graphtec's support is terrible. Great machines but they definitely lack in the customer service dept. I've never used a Suma but I've heard and read that they are great machines and that their tech support is stellar. Just food for thought.

khoalabear

If you want to factor technical support into this, I would go with a Suma. Graphtec's support is terrible. Great machines but they definitely lack in the customer service dept. I've never used a Suma but I've heard and read that they are great machines and that their tech support is stellar. Just food for thought.

great, i haven't even thought to look at Suma's yet... i'm opening quite a can of worms?

Blaney

I can't comment on Graphtec's support. I've had my Graphtec for 8 years and never had a problem. Go with a Graphtec!

Dice

Everyone always talks about Summa being the best and Graphtecbeing second best, but no one mentions that Summas are 2x the cost of a Graphtec.

On a Budget, get a Graphtec.
Have money to burn, get a Summa T-Series.

khoalabear

Everyone always talks about Summa being the best and Graphtecbeing second best, but no one mentions that Summas are 2x the cost of a Graphtec.

the Graphtec seems to be the logical choice for me since i am on a budget...

Jim Doggett

They're both the best, in varying regards. BTW, I was with Summa (named the company) for 13 years, as its marketing director, marketing vp and then vp. The company was AirMark originally and sold Graphtec (their best) Summagraphics (second best) and Roland (their value model, in the day). It took me forever to build the Summa brand, and even internally to get Summa employees thinking Summa was best; and better than Graphtec. But that's just marketing.

The truth is:

Summa has the best tracking and OPOS has the most highly-evolved firmware. For contour-cutting, you cannot do better than Summa.

Graphtec is the best at cutting, and in engineering; the internals are sublime. The quiet precision with which they run, is awe inspiring, and it makes for longer lasting reliability. Really well-made machines. And the cut-quality is second to none. More stuff can be cut, with way better cutting and ease-of-weeding, whether it's vinyl, sand-blast, diamond grade reflective. You name it; I'd put drag-knife Graphtec up against Summa Tangential any day of the week.

And with the price disparity? Graphtec. Hands down, unless contour-cutting is the primary function the cutter will be performing in your workflow.

JMO,

Jim Doggett

I'm starting to sway away from the Rolands, so the Q series is basically a "value" version of the CE series? I'm reading about all these machines and i'm getting all my info mixed up...:banghead:

Qe is very CE Series-like; Q is very FC Series-like. We private label the cutters, but are not supposed to say who makes them.

The beauty is that our top-of-the-line Q Series cutter, which looks, runs and smells exactly like a Graphtec FC Series Cutting Pro, is available at very near a Graphtec CE series price. CE is a wonderful cutter, made by Graphtec, the epitome of quality cutters. But the Graphtec FC Cutting Pro is in a class by itself, when it comes to quality-built cutters with sublime cut-quality (which you can enjoy, for all intents and purposes, with a Vinyl Express Q Series cutter at an amazing price)