• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plugging into the wall vs surge protector?

Lindsay50111

I attended a class at signwarehouse down in Texas after purchasing my Mutah Value Jet and there I was told to only plug the machine into the wall and not a surge protector. The guy teaching the class was a tech for signwarehouse and said they had people plugging them into protectors and having problems with not getting enough power to the machine. With summer coming and bring with it storms, I would like to protect the machine from lightning. Has anyone had a problem with surge protectors?

CL Graphics

If you cant get enough power through a surge protector I would say you either need a new surge protector or you should call an electrician. I have the plug for my mimaki on its own breaker and yes I do use a surge protector.

Letterbox Mike

That's a new one on me. I'd definately not plug it into a cheapo $2.99 surge protector, I'd invest some money in a very good one, or even go with a good battery-backup/surge protector, but I can't imaging plugging it directly into the wall. If you get a good one I wouldn't think voltage drop would be an issue. I think our insurance even has a clause in it that says if our equipment is damaged by lightning and a surge protector is not in place we would not be covered.

jiarby

I have a APC 650 Battery/Surge protector for my Mutoh, and a dedicated breaker for the printer, and a separate one for the heaters. The heaters I just plug into the wall, but the printer gets plugged into the strip. The power blinks on/off here several times a week. the APC software keeps a log!

BrianKE

The tech was probably giving a blanket warning as he has probably seen a few printers plugged into cheap surge protectors which were unable to supply a steady stream of power to the device.

A surge suppressor (only battery backups are true surge protectors as any device without a battery can only suppress spikes to a certain point) will simply condition the power to your device, knocking out the peaks that occasionally occur in power lines.

It is also dependent on how sensitive your equipment is to power fluctuations. And from experience it is not the spikes, but the dropouts, that cause problems. Any good device will have some suppression capability built into it. But if there is not enough power there is nothing a surge suppressor can do for you.

I have been using battery backups for over ten years on almost every electronic device in my house over $100 but I believe the cost of a battery backup capable of supplying the necessary power to your printer may be cost prohibitive (see this thread from a few days ago http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33250&highlight=battery+backup)

All in all you are probably best to get a good surge suppressor and from the other post it seems like the printers draw a LOT of power so don't put anything else on the strip as that can cause dropouts as well. If you get a good quality suppressor they typically come with up to a million dollar coverage if a spike does damage your equipment.

signage

A surge protector is only a device that protects against surge it should not change the voltage nor the current unless it is defective!

MacDaddy

Surge Protecter

VJ printers have 2 replaceable fuses inside the panel on the same end of the AC connection... I believe the tech was correct and have been told that as well from Mutoh...:beer

GARY CULY

APC battery backup here ..i read that log deal the other day[ dunno why just thought id check it out ..man there was 4 power drops for less than 5 seconds each recorded in last 2 weeks i believe it was ...guess its working