Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PNC 1000a vinyl won't move...

Discussion in 'Roland' started by NZBloke, Mar 1, 2010.

1. NZBloke

NZBloke New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Hi. I have searched to see if this has been answered elsewhere, but couldn't find it. Apologise if this has been asked....

I cut some vinyl and worked perfectly.
    Next sign a few minutes later and the blade moved as usual, but the vinyl isn't moving. Maybe a roller problem? Just wondering... what can I check? Is this usual maintenance thing? I was just thinking last week... what regular maintenance should I be doing on this machine? Thanks for any help or ideas...

Tags:
  2. NZBloke

NZBloke New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I just had another go and watched carefully.... The rollers aren't even attempting to move. The coords on the screen show X and Y changing... Rollers freely spin when not trying to cut and no vinyl in there...

3. NZBloke

NZBloke New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Murphys law

Things like this always happen when you have some jobs arrive... lol These are only semi-urgent though as they are charity jobs... :)

4. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I ran one VERY HARD for over 10 years. All I did was cover it from dust. Sound like maybe a belt or motor broke. Time to open it up.

5. NZBloke

NZBloke New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Yikes

I am guessing being in New Zealand and the fact this is an old machine... parts might be a major issue though... :doh:

6. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    could be that it isn't set to rotate when it should be...on my pnc it is a button you hit before setup

7. NZBloke

NZBloke New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    That would be awesome if it

it's a simple problem like that... Strange how it finished one job totally and maybe an hour later it just didn't work...
    I saw here the plotter configuration but was scared to mess around with it...
    I started and saw that instead of being in Mode2, it was on Auto....
    Could this be part of the problem? Should I have a go at these instructions under plotter configuration?
    http://www.asigns.com/signtools/Support/Roland/PNC-1000A.htm

8. NZBloke

NZBloke New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    One more check in

Just thought I would see if someone has any last ideas about setup or anything before I open this thing up and hope not to break anything. :)

9. striper14

striper14 Member

May 23, 2003
    home alone
    can you move the vinyl with the arrow keys ?? I've got an old pnc900 i use for backup but i've never had your problem. Make sure you write down all your old settings before changing anything.They're tough old buggers though so get into her.....

10. round man

round man Active Member

Oct 16, 2005
    sounds like an internal gear on one of the stepper motors has slipped off the shaft and or stripped the teeth on the gear,...or a belt has come loose seems the one that drives the grit wheel has a problem from your description