• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

[PNC-950]Help bringing this old beast back from the dead?

Kaja

Hello fellow signmakers! Thanks for accepting me on the forum!

A friend of mine lent me an old Roland PNC-950 he had laying around in his garage collecting dust. We've managed to turn it on with my boyfriend, both the circle/square test and the Camm logo come out fine.

I've installed different softwares but none seem to work. Here's what we've done:

Plugged in the plotter with a serial to USB cable to a USB port which is assigned COM4 or COM6 (depending on the computer we've tried), installed both the official Roland legacy driver (which is theoretically useless if we're plugging into a USB port and not a good old serial or parallel port at the back of an old PC) and the more pertinent CH340 driver for the USB port. All the dip switches are set to OFF for the moment and we've settled on the following settings:

Baud rate 9600
Data bits 8
Stop bits 1
Parity None
Flow Control Xon/Xoff

The furthest we got on the computer running 64bit Windows 10 was to send the data to the plotter (from Inkscape and then Signcut Pro) and it wakes up the plotter and either it would cut a series of random letters and numbers, it would print a dot or nothing at all. And that damn error light flashing.

So we plugged in the plotter to my old laptop — still thru a USB port but this time running 32bit Windows XP, and Corel Draw X3. I have both the Roland driver and the USB port driver, in case one of them would be useful, COMM4 port, the dip switch settings are as indicated above.

I drew a square (hairline outline, empty inside as far as I know), hit print preview, square is bottom left, turn on plotter, hit setup, pen goes to left corner of my sheet, in Corel my plotter is selected correctly, I hit the print button and the error light flashes immediately.

EDIT: I just got the blade to tap the vinyl once after sending the job then nothing.
EDIT 2: I enlarged my square, I think it was too small, the plotter is cutting jibberish again!! haha I didn't think failure would get me this excited.

I feel like we've regressed, I'm not even getting the weird strings of letters and numbers anymore. Do I need to change cables? Or maybe my settings are wrong? A magic workaround? I've heard it's very hard to get the plotter to work on a 64 bit system, I was hoping my old laptop would communicate better with the cutter but no luck. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup and managed to get it working.

Getting this old machine to run would be a dream, it's so cool ! I mean this is history xD Thanks for taking the time to read!

Last edited:
you need win XP pc with integrated parallel port (not usb converter and not laptop) it's called handshake protocol - won't get into details, you can google it if you want a headache

Attila Nagy

Are you using original Roland cable attached to your CH340 or DB9-25 adapter?
When all DIP are OFF, the handshake is hardwire, but only DTR connected. Roland cable resolves that.
If you use DB9-25 dongle, need to add a M-F null modem adapter in between. and only select DTR in Hardwire handshake option.
Do not install any driver from Roland, they are not compatible with W10, and SignCut can access the port directly.

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_200457.jpg
    IMG_20201101_200457.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Kaja

Are you using original Roland cable attached to your CH340 or DB9-25 adapter?
When all DIP are OFF, the handshake is hardwire, but only DTR connected. Roland cable resolves that.
If you use DB9-25 dongle, need to add a M-F null modem adapter in between. and only select DTR in Hardwire handshake option.
Do not install any driver from Roland, they are not compatible with W10, and SignCut can access the port directly.

Thanks for your input! We got it working on Windows 10 with a parallel adapter... And indeed Signcut is the only software that works!
Any idea if I can send stuff from illustrator to signcut easily? I haven't tried yet, waiting for my vinyl to arrive.

Kaja

you need win XP pc with integrated parallel port (not usb converter and not laptop) it's called handshake protocol - won't get into details, you can google it if you want a headache

Actually it worked on a computer with Windows 10! And a parallel adapter. Only signcut works tho, no other software we tried...

Attila Nagy

Actually it worked on a computer with Windows 10! And a parallel adapter. Only signcut works tho, no other software we tried...
Yes, correct, but not all the USB-Parallel adapter worked for me. Parallel port does not support read back material size. Most of the cutting softwares can work, EasyCut, FlexiSign, Signlab etc.

Attila Nagy

Thanks for your input! We got it working on Windows 10 with a parallel adapter... And indeed Signcut is the only software that works!
Any idea if I can send stuff from illustrator to signcut easily? I haven't tried yet, waiting for my vinyl to arrive.
SignCut has Plugin for illustrator, or can open Illustrator file directly.

Adam.t.0101

Hey,

I am also trying to get the PNC-950 working on Win 10. I have a StarTech.com adapter:

StarTech.com 6 ft. (1.8 m) USB to Parallel Port Adapter - IEEE-1284 - Male/Male - USB to Centronics Cable (ICUSB1284) https://amzn.eu/d/jhDlQu8

The PC seems to see something as when I go to “cut” something it brings up a progress bar but doesn’t go anywhere and doesn’t wake the plotter… what am I missing? - I’m sure I’ve done everything mentioned in this thread and tried everything my IT brain tells me to but I’m still stuck.

I’m using Inkscape and SignCut Pro 2

Help