• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pnc 960 with mac

annie

does anyone know if it's possible to run an old pnc 960 on a newer mac computer? i've been told the roland can't handle the information at the speed a mac sends.

OldPaint

that is too funny, sorry for laughing. seems macs have super powers to some people.
i was told one time the reason MACS get used for art, is that.........A MAC makes a perfect circle. PC's dont))))))

rolands can run off macs, requires a special cable, between computer and plotter. i had one here, came with a roland i bought off ebay.

annie

ok, tell me how...... i have a usb-pia cable (sent directly from scanvec amiable- they told me this "special" cable would make it work) and the cutter will run and cut, but.....it will do weird things like turn some of the letters at a 90 degree angle, skip parts of a letter, draw a line through letters that isn't in the job, etc. etc. And it's not consistent. I can send the same job through immediately after and it will do something different, like turn a different letter 90 degrees or leave out part of a different letter altogether. Believe me, after talking to several "experts" and spending countless hours researching this and waiting weeks for return phone calls, I'm doing everything but laughing :(
if you can make this work, you'll be my new best friend

functionpdx

From what I understand from reading, not from experience, that Flexistarter Mac has the drivers needed and another program called MagiSign has the pnc-960 on the compatibility list. Your also going to need a parallel or serial to usb adapter, I guess a company called Keyspan makes one that seems to have better results. I'm in the same situation with a pnc-960 and an intel mac and have been weary to start buying without knowing for sure if its ever going to work.

annie

i'm using flexi 8.5 mac version and a mac os x computer. was told before i started buying that this all would work. flexi even has the pnc 960 listed as a cutter to hook up to.
my local scanvec tech guy sent a detailed report of the problem to scanvec's vp....weeks ago.

Rodi

OP, how odd, when I got my cutter, it came with a Western Graphtec Mac Serial Cable, and PC Software!

We do have something in common (Bo Diddley too!)

OldPaint

BO DIDDLY, lived here in panama city till his death couple years ago.
we saw him one nite here in pcola, for free, i got him to autograph my shirt i was wearing........
i was listening to his music since 1957!!!!!!!!!

functionpdx

I can't see anything wrong with just using Corel, my only complaint is sometimes certain fonts with a lot of nodes get weird. The plotter shakes as it stops at every node and sounds like it would eventually rattle apart, I've had the edges of vinyl look almost blurry.

OldPaint

functionpdx's YOU EVER SEE ......CONVERT TO CURVES ........in corel??? try it.
CL GRAPHICS..........how dare you not know who BO DIDDLY IS!!!!!!!!
with out him, there would be no ROCK N ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!
ANNIE, i did my days work then...........hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Mainframe

I have been running a cm24 roland cutter on os9 & osx for 10 years, cuts like a wild man! I am not sure how close my cm24 is to your machine but you may have a dip switch problem, I can check my dip switch settings & the rest in the am, pm me if you want
Bill ps I run flexistarter 8.5

functionpdx

OP, how could I not see that option? Its the first thing that comes up when opening any file, and still I've had that problem.