• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pole diameter?

TXFB.INS

Was out over the weekend and really had not paid attention before but why is it that typical sign poles are of a telescoping diameter (bigger at bottom, smaller top) and then billboard poles are the same diameter from bottom to top?

I'm sure there is logical reasoning, and since I'm only working with small signs I don't know the logic :banghead:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Was out over the weekend and really had not paid attention before but why is it that typical sign poles are of a telescoping diameter (bigger at bottom, smaller top) and then billboard poles are the same diameter from bottom to top?

I'm sure there is logical reasoning, and since I'm only working with small signs I don't know the logic :banghead:

Typical pole length is 40'. So depending on the overall height of the sign, once you set part of that 40' pole below ground in a pier, additional stages of pipe will be required to reach your required overall height. When the poles are staged, the next stage is a couple of inches smaller in diameter and is inserted about 2' into the larger pole below. So even if you're using a 40' stick, you're losing part of that 40' either in the ground or in the stage below. Also, for whatever height a sign is, approximately 1/3 of the height of the sign is in the ground. So for a 90' sign, you can set almost an entire stick in your pier.

That being said, some companies will opt for SWP (spiral weld pipe) for sign or billboard installation due to it being available in longer lengths.