• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pole pocket standard definition

fozzie

trying to determine if there is an "industry standard" in regards to banner pole pocket definition. does, say, a 3" pole pocket mean 1. a 3" foldover that is hemmed/sewn so that there is less than 3" for the pocket (depending upon size of weld/thread) or 2. enough material folded over so that there is 3" of material available for a pocket.
have heard/seen it both ways. thanks.

omgsideburns

Ehhh... If I order a 3" pocket, it needs to be three inch finished sized. This isn't like ordering an old "two foot" banner and getting 22" after hemming.

Mosh

So if you order a 48" banner with a 3" pole pocket, will it be 51"? Guess I never thought about it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We always tell them what we want the live area to be and what size dowel or pole is to go through the pocket and let them do the math.

jazzdrum

If I'm understanding this right..you're distinction has nothing to do with the "finish size" - A 48" x 96" banner with a 3" pole pocket will still finish at 48" x 96", it's a question of diameter of the hole vs. length of "fold-over" - which to me ("fold-over"} is a customers ignorant description of a pole pocket. So using the same dimensions, if someone tells me they want a 3" pole pocket, that means to accommodate a 3" outside diameter pole, so the math is { 3 x pi = approx 9.5" circumference. The circumference here is the linear length of banner to fit around a 3" o.d. pole. Add .5" for a little extra room to fit the pole so now you have 10". Add 2" for the 1" hem (1" when you fold 2" together) and you have 12", divide by 2 and 6" is the extra length above the finished top you'll need for your pocket. You'll fold that extra 6" down to 6" "below the top of the finish size and sew, leaving a 1" hem and a 5" "fold over". So a 3" pole pocket requires a 5" "fold-over". In most cases people know the size of pole before requiring a pole pocket, so when they say a 2" pole pocket, it's because they know they have a 2" pole, so if you make a 2" "fold-over", it wont fit a 2" pole and now you're arguing semantics with the customer or making a new banner. So I'm proposing the standard be a 2" pole pocket accommodates a 2" o.d. pole --Worst case scenario the customers idea of "fold-over" is longer and the hem is further down which is better than a pole that doesn't fit.