• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Police Car Graphics

stephenj148

My town has asked for some new police car designs, and produce them. Not being to familiar with working with reflective materials I'm turning to you guys for some helpful advice. (For the record, I've done searches through the site, found out all about Galls.com and all of that stuff, but the town has come to us and wants to deal with us if possible)

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to print onto reflective materials with a Roland Sp-540v and what materials I will need to complete this job. They are looking for a gold/black color scheme. So I'm thinking that I will want to find a gold reflective and print the black onto it.

Can anyone please help me out with this and let me know if it is at all possible? I'm trying to be relatively quick with my answer to them as to not loose a valuable customer who I can have more jobs in the future.

Thanks
-Stephen

3m makes some reflective material that printed great on my Mimaki. I don't think you would have any problems with your Roland. The reflective material is thick and will only go around simple curves. Stretching it too much will decrease the reflective properties. Keep that in mind when you work on your designs.

We use 3M Scotchlite with oraguard lamcast 293 on our sp-540v and it works great.

Like said before it does not do well around anything other then simple curves. Also takes a lot of pressure to cut due to the thickness.

stephenj148

Will the ink take away from the reflective or will it still reflect through the ink?

What would you classify as a simple or non simple curve for the sides of a crown vic/explorer?

TheSellOut

I received a Roland Ref. roll with my purchase of a vp540i and it prints very well, More than likely I will switch to 3M once my roll is out though! I know 3m offers printable ref. colors as well...but I believe if you don't have the capability of printing white, you will only be able to print the black on the gold effectively!

I used to do most of my towns emergency vehicles, but now most ambulances come lettered and police depts just buy the kits online and have their body shops do the install. I miss doing them, a reflective job is a beauty and they use to be quite profitable!

Good Luck and remember two things:
1. Do not wet apply
2. Try to lay it in one shot, you don't want to pull up ref. if you don't have to

TheSellOut

Will the ink take away from the reflective or will it still reflect through the ink?

What would you classify as a simple or non simple curve for the sides of a crown vic/explorer?

In my little experience so far the Ink does shine though, except for Versaworks true black color RVW-BK21, and I haven't tried any other blacks yet

K Chez

I usually use a 2mil (Oracal 290 or 3M 8518) By far the best and easiest reflective to work with is 3M 680-CR. Prints great too.

stephenj148

Can anyone tell me how the 3M Reflective material would adhere to the plastic bumber of a Ford Crown Vic. Trying to figure out if I should include decals on the bumper or not.

gabagoo

3m now has its reflectives in a comply form which would really be nice for tough applications. Beware!!!! do not bend the reflective back on itself during application or you will get black lines which are not removeable caution caution !!!!

stephenj148

3m now has its reflectives in a comply form which would really be nice for tough applications. Beware!!!! do not bend the reflective back on itself during applicationcor you will get black lines which are not removeable caution caution !!!!
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

k.a.s.

Just did a Police car today, when I called and ordered 3M reflective, I wanted 680 and was sent 5100. I went ahead and used it cause I did not have time to send it back, it worked, but 680 is much better.

Black ink on reflective does not reflect real well at night but all the other colors I have tried work well. I would just order white and print your black and gold on that. Also I have put reflective words on a painted crown vic bumper and it seems to be fine.

Kevin

stephenj148

Just did a Police car today, when I called and ordered 3M reflective, I wanted 680 and was sent 5100. I went ahead and used it cause I did not have time to send it back, it worked, but 680 is much better.

Black ink on reflective does not reflect real well at night but all the other colors I have tried work well. I would just order white and print your black and gold on that. Also I have put reflective words on a painted crown vic bumper and it seems to be fine.

Kevin

Actually I found a roll of white 3M reflective that we had received when we got our roland so that's what we're going to be using. I'm worried about the life of the vinyl if it is on the bumpers.