• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Police Car kits

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Our local GM dealer is quoting 7 new Caprice police cars for our local department and wanted me to quote the graphics. They are ordering black cars and want white doors.

A couple of years ago, I redid the graphics on an existing car that had been wrecked, and they provided the graphics, which were like a pre-cut wrap. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of a supplier for such or if I would be better off wrapping the doors myself and applying my own graphics.

BK Vinyl

Our cop cars all have reflective lettering, I don't have a choice of printing everything.
If you can, I would do it.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the vinyl is regular cut vinyl in reflective, but the doors are just blank white with reflective on top of them. I'm not as much concerned with the lettering as much as I am wrapping the doors in white. If there are pre-cut kits available, I would think that would be the way to go to make the black doors white.

Billct2

Those pre-cut door kits are ridiculously priced. We do some work for auto body shops and I think the replacement set from Ford for 4 doors was $700.
For that I would definitely look into doing them in house.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Simply wrapping the doors with white vinyl should be a very simple process.

letterman7

Those doors are reasonably flat. Even I would wrap those in house... and I don't do wraps. I would, however, put it with the caveat that if the doors get dinged and the vinyl outside the graphic gets damaged, they have to replace everything or live with the vinyl damage.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the doors are very flat and easy to wrap. I'm not worried about wrapping them, I just figured for 7 vehicles, it would be faster to buy the pre-cut kits and slap em on. Since that does not appear to be the case, I will plan to wrap, and quit searching for pre-made things.

Thanks for the responses.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
We do a fair amount of PD cruisers, new and remake older to match the new. Those doors we would just re-wrap fairly easy peezy, just need to decided if you want to use a color change vinyl (3m1080 or Oracle 970) or something like a 3M 180 or Oracle 3751 etc w a lam to help give some body, I'd prob just use a color change for the White and lay on top of that.

Nuagedesigns

A good deal of our business these days has been police and municipal vehicles. We have been using white color change wrap material. These get beat up pretty bad from the officers gun belts constantly rubbing on them. Unfortunately a lot of the departments have switched to these white doors.....I look at it as money in the bank...We are constantly re-wrapping doors for the local auto body guys who have to repair any body damage.