• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Police Car Pricing Question

Skillsaw

I have been asked to quote some police cars (250 per year). It consists of:

-4 blue stripes per car - 3" x 4'
-2 door seals ; printed blue / gold / black - 15" diameter
-3 words (each front fender and trunk lid) - 3" x 17"
-3 words (each front fender and trunk lid ) - 3" x 21"

These have to be printed on 3M Scotchlite Reflective with Controltac 690 Series. I have one of their decals and this is what is on the back - it is also noted in the email when they asked me to quote the job.

Couple of questions I have:

1. When I print, laminate, and contour cut these....the blade dulls extremely quick. I realize this is normal for reflective, but I would nearly have to change the blade after each car. What are your alls suggestions there?

2. Another company quoted this job at roughly $72 per car. I cannot touch this price...just wondering how they can get down there and I cannot.

Just seeing what your thoughts are on this. It would be a nice job for someone like me, but I would rather make money than to just wear out my equipment for no reason. It doesn't help anything that the people are a PITA to deal with.

there are a couple companies that offer DIRT cheap sign packages to police, fire, emergency...guaranteed every police station knows the pricing in these catalogs. you can either buy their packages or you have to put your price out for a custom product and let the cards fall where they may...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I highly doubt someone is going to letter 250 cars a year for $72 each. However, do your math and come up with a fair price and be prepared to walk away with competitors numbers in that range.

Browner

So, I had some time to kill. I wouldn't have posted, except for what my final result was.

Fellers sells the 3M 680 in 30" rolls. 50 yard for about $1200, let's say $24 per yard. Quickly laid out, you could squeak all the vinyl for one car into a 30" x 55" space (I'm sure with doing a 250 cars, you could come up with better layouts than attached, but the "waste" would be minimal).

Do the math however you want, but:

250 cars x 55" per car = 13750 inches, or 382 yards.

382 yards x $24 = $9168

$9168 / 250 = $36 cost.

Double it = $72

I hope to hell this isn't how someone came up with the pricing (it doesn't take into account the printing of the seals, premask, labour, or blades, blades and more blades), but I have seen a lot of "newb" shops double up their cost of materials and figure they're making bagloads!

PS. 250 cars per year sounds like a LOT. You sure there's not an extra zero there?

PPS. Just realised this wasn't in the premium section. Mods can change my post as they see fit.

Attachments

• cops.JPG
    cops.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Skillsaw

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies (especially Browner). It didn't seem like a job that I would be willing to do anything with, just seeing if I was doing something wrong.

Browner, I'm positive it is 250. They use quite alot of the sets, and whatever they don't use just gets put on their shelves and eventually used. But thanks again to everyone for the help - this one is a no go!

Billct2

$36 to cover labor (sales/design/production/packaging) Misc materials, Fixed costs, and nothing for the machine time....sound like a plan for bankruptcy

Jace161

Pay the other guy $72 (x 250 cars) to raise his prices then you can afford to "low ball" the job and everyone is happy! :D

just an fyi i have a neighbor who's business is a national police/fire/rescue supply company. his salespeople all drive trucks or cars decked out as much as possible to look like police / fire vehicles. the other day he had someone out installing graphics and was having issues so he came and asked me for some advice.

i asked if he was manufacturing the graphics and he said no that they order them and then resell...the graphics package was less than the dollar amount the OP was quoting against. there are multiple companies that put out catalogs targetting first responders, if these are the prices that they are expecting i wouldnt even try to compete but just charge for installation...

letterman7

Do you have a copy of the other company's quote? First responders are always looking for the lowest price, of course, but it's your job to upsell them into something that will suit them better. Does their present package provide the necessary visibility? Is it an old design and needs updating? Come up with an alternative design and present it - you might be surprised. I'm really questioning the 250 cars a year. Even at a statewide level that's a lot of cars to be turned over. Who presented that number to you?

mtroup

I agree with a few other posts on here that the best way is to let them find the graphics and then work something out with them on installation. I have found that I cannot compete on the graphics themselves as they are ordering them but I can make a decent amount of profit on installing them for them and we're both happy.