• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

!%@#&^! Politicians!!

Jane Diaz

We recently had a new politician elected to our area. His "aide" e-mails us a photo of another politicians window lettering in another town and asks us to do "the same thing" on their new office window. OK. So I figure out what they want, send them a quote and wait to hear. He e-mails me several times, tells me he's on the road and is SOO busy but needs this done ASAP. He sets up an appointment to come in, but again, he is SOOO busy.
Then I get this....
"Hey Jane,
A couple of things. In the proof you sent us, I'm assuming you just put a random phone number on there. Ours is _________.
Is it also possible to get our e-mail address on there too?
Here's the other thing. I've been picking and poking at our budget...and I've only got about $75 to do this. Is there any way you can work with us?"

Now mind you that is about HALF of what I quoted him! So I responded:
"Yes we can add the e-mail address and of course the correct phone #.
And yes, as far as the cost, we can stay within your budget. We will just make the copy that much smaller and/or use white instead of gold metallic and/or not repeat the same info on the entry door. You can also get your own permit and save $5. Let us know what you want us to do.
P.S. As per our earlier correspondence, you also need to provide your own vinyl state seal, right?"

So a couple days later, I get:
"Hey Jane,
I'm ok with putting the lettering in white (if we have to, and can see a proof)...but I really don't want smaller lettering. I know we have a budget and you're trying to run a business, but we're trying to do this with as little cost to taxpayers as possible (and we don't have much of a budget.)
Let me know what you think."

REALLY, you REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT I THINK!?!?!?! :banghead:
:frustrated:
SO, by now we are all fuming and coming up with what we WANT to write back but here is what we said:
"Sorry, that's the best we can do.
Any additional spec work comes with additional charges and must be paid in advance. (We don't normally do sketches without a sketch fee.)"

AND in his wonderful style, he responds:
"Hold on, you're telling me you want to change the design to stay within our budget but you won't let us see the updated design?"
:omg2:

SO Now I'm thinking...you little weasel! SO, ONCE AGAIN....
"We wouldn't change the design. It would be the same, just smaller and white in order to stay with in your budget. However, you have stated that you don't want to go smaller. We would need to shrink the size of the lettering in order to get the price down to $75.00.
I'm sure in your position you are well aware of the struggles that small businesses deal with every day. We simply can't afford to do jobs at half price. That would barely cover OUR costs for doing this project. I'm assuming you are also well aware that time is money. We are simply unwilling to spend extra time needed to develop sketches and quote out hypothetical options, when it sounds as if we won't get the job due to our unwillingness to give you a discount.
We feel the price we originally gave you is more than fair for what you are asking us to do."

Now we wait....What a great representative for our area!!!! Looking forward to how he will "help small businesses out" if this is his attitude!!

Bigdawg

Just Me
Jerks... don't' they know that if you make momma mad... well watch out...

(Joe posted this in NHB so we could all add our more colorful thoughts on politicians... )

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
SO Now I'm thinking...you little weasel! SO, ONCE AGAIN....
"We wouldn't change the design. It would be the same, just smaller and white in order to stay with in your budget. However, you have stated that you don't want to go smaller. We would need to shrink the size of the lettering in order to get the price down to $75.00.
I'm sure in your position you are well aware of the struggles that small businesses deal with every day. We simply can't afford to do jobs at half price. That would barely cover OUR costs for doing this project. I'm assuming you are also well aware that time is money. We are simply unwilling to spend extra time needed to develop sketches and quote out hypothetical options, when it sounds as if we won't get the job due to our unwillingness to give you a discount.
We feel the price we originally gave you is more than fair for what you are asking us to do."

Now we wait....What a great representative for our area!!!! Looking forward to how he will "help small businesses out" if this is his attitude!!

Excellent answer -- I can't wait to hear how they respond -- if they do...

Joe Diaz

Jerks... don't' they know that if you make momma mad... well watch out...

(Joe posted this in NHB so we could all add our more colorful thoughts on politicians... )

HAHA sorry. I've neglected showing her how to get into NHB for all this time:omg:. Stacy if you want you can delete this if you think it's not appropriate for this section. She didn't know I posted it in NHB

Bigdawg

Just Me
Oh no - she's totally appropriate here...

let her share this oh-so-fun experience with those that don't want to crawl into the underbelly of NHB...

I would EXPECT you to keep her away from NHB like a good son :smile:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Too much trouble for 150 bucks... 75 bucks?... hand him white shoe polish and they can put it up themselves....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
C'mon.... tell us what you really think about this scumbag. :rolleyes:

You might not see it in the NHB, but I think you're handling yourself quite well. I guess this tight economy is giving even politicians a conscience...... :ROFLMAO: Yeah, right.... like they even have one, let alone a brain.

Tell 'em to go to your worst competitor [give a name] and tell him he can do it for around $50, since he voted for him [his boss]. You know that he gives all kinds of discounts to that party. Heck, you'll have made a friend with this guy for saving him so much money. :rock-n-roll:

PromoGuyTy

In an effort to keep my time at a minimum, I would have kept it super short when a discount was asked for...as in:

No...unfortunately, we're not able to able to offer further discounts on this job...Just give us a ring if you change your mind...Thanks! Ty

Dice

I don't know why you guys bother. As soon as you discount yourself they will come after for more discounts.

Should have stayed firm at $150. Let them go bother the next guy.

You keep doing this and you'll always be chasing penny's instead of dollars.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
From the sounds of it, I'd say you've already exceeded $75.00 worth of shop labor with their foolish emails. Send them on their way and let them know you really appreciate their efforts to save the tax payers money.

Jane Diaz

We didn't discount anything. If he want's cheaper, he gets less. I will work with him to fit something that he can afford but I WON'T give him the original job for less $. AND we did tell him if he wanted to go back & forth with more sketches or info there would be additional charges.
And yes, there will be no more back & forth. They either accept what we offered to do for them or we say, "Sorry we are not interested in losing money on this job.":noway:
And we will feel good about it!

Mosh

Polititions, bars, realtors and race car drivers are all the WORST customers in the world. Tell them a price and take it or leave it. I ALWAYS charge more for all of the above cause they are all (99% of the time) TIME WASTERS!!!

Mosh

Sorry, they SUCK too. Unless they have a bunch of young hotties working there and they say "are you the Mosh?" and I tell them "yeah" and they respond "we thought you was dead" and I respond "not hardly"....