• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polycarb Laminate Edge Sealing or other tips

Lauren

Has anyone used 3M Edge Sealer 3950 on vinyl that is laminated with polycarbonate? I have contacted 3M for their advice, but since they do not have a polycarb laminate they cannot advise whether it works or not. I have some displays that we are wrapping vinyl around. The ones that we did last year have some edges coming up and I need to find a solution. Any tips? Thanks!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Whats the application? I sell a lot of 10Mil Polycarb into the tradeshow world but have never heard of anyone needing edge seal?

Lauren

We are using 5ml polycarb. What we are wrapping is a display that our customer calls a "base". It is a four sided structure with 2 flat sides and 2 curved sides and the vinyl wraps around in one piece. It ends at a hinge where there is a door to open the display. Here is a photo of where the vinyl is peeling up (that is a view from the top of the display). photo (2).JPG

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Ok I see, you should use a polycarbonate alternative. Polycarb will be a problem as you can see when going around corners but a synthetic polycarb will comply with those edges a lot easier and will still give you plenty of durability. I carry a product in a 6Mil and a 10Mil if your interested just shoot me a PM and I would also try and put some banner tape underneath it for now to see if that will hold it.

Lauren

We will be applying new graphics to everything, so there is no need to try to fix those edges that are sticking up. What I am trying to do is prevent that from happening on the new set. I am going to test some of the edge sealer before going all out on the displays. I have a new question now though about the 3M edge sealer - when it is applied partly to the print and partly to the substrate, what happens if (and when in this case) we need to strip the graphic off again? Any extra problems with doing that that anyone has encountered?

Lauren

Ok I see, you should use a polycarbonate alternative.

BigFish- we did talk to the vendor before ordering and they suggested the 5ml polycarb even with the curves. But I am curious about what you are saying - would a "textured coex laminate, 5 mil rigid co-polymer film" be considered a polycarb alternative?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
BigFish- we did talk to the vendor before ordering and they suggested the 5ml polycarb even with the curves. But I am curious about what you are saying - would a "textured coex laminate, 5 mil rigid co-polymer film" be considered a polycarb alternative?

Yes I think that would work as long as it isn't too rigid.

Lauren

isnt it just fancified nail polish or similar? Im sure the seal can be broken pretty easily with force.

Yes, it's a clear glue-like substance. I would agree with you, but I just wanted to see if anyone had a compelling reason or horror story about trying to get something off that was edge sealed.