Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polycarbonate faces

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by ashleighfiddler, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ashleighfiddler

ashleighfiddler Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hi all!

I'm trying to find a good rule of thumb on when to default to polycarbonate faces and f-retainers versus acrylic and jewelite, beyond the general rule of 3-4' letter height.

Can anyone share knowledge or experiences that influence your decisions on when to spec either of these? Thank you so much!

Tags:
  2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I am a fan of always using poly, my guys are far to rough while trimcapping/refitting faces after install to go with acrylic. About the only time I put acrylic faces on a channel letter is when I'm doing red letters... or when I'm doing a face fab job for Lowes, they spec impact modified acrylic. Those are never fun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ashleighfiddler

ashleighfiddler Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Austin, TX
    thank you sooo much! The red acrylic is for the color intensity, right? Is there a significant cost difference when you use all polycarb? What kind of trimcaps do you use?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Yup, on red letter faces with red leds is about as bright as can be.
    As far as cost goes, they look to be very similar as far as pricing is concerned. The lexan is, in a way, more difficult to work with, but also more forgiving. Dropped letters don't break, and since it is a roll product I can specify the length of a sheet, where chemcast is pretty much one or two sizes only from my distributor. But since it's a roll product it tends to have a warp to it, so when trim capping it is important to make certain the lexan is flattened out before gluing, sometimes requiring weights around the letter while the glue dries. Also this can be an issue when cutting, as the more that gets cut out of the sheet, the more it wants to lift. I started ordering from my distributor in cut to size sheets that work for my application, so it tends to lose some of the roll tendency as it gets transported. Also you need to make sure whatever adhesive you are using actually works, not just that it says it will work... We use channelbond for all trimcapping. I just realized you're in Texas, so I'd recommend calling up Reece Supply out of Irving. Great folks, and they always go the extra mile in replacing in type of damaged or defective products.

• Like Like x 1