Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polycarbonite shortage...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Grimco says they won't have any till the Fall... Just ordered from NGlantz and their stock is very low. What's goin on???

UPDATE: They said it's because the manufactures are focusing on clear acrylic for covid stuff. I duno how this will play out....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Tags:
  2. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    It doesn't surprise me actually. Glantz just emailed about having Clear cast acrylic in stock...no polycarbonate in stock locally.

3. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Well, what do we do if we need 12' of something?? I see they have clear acrylic but nothing over 10'. Will we just have to stop making those signs till the Fall?

4. Chriswagner92

Chriswagner92 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    nc
    Ran into this this week. It makes sense for the manufacturers, focus on where the demand is. The only solution I can think of right now is to make the shortage known and make sure the customer is aware that the time to produce may be longer than expected.

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    I expect the price in the fall will have gone up dearly!

6. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Yup, there was a shortage on clear acrylic when covid started, so manufacturers focused on that, now there is an abundance of clear acrylic on the market, but everything else is gone.

I tried to order some clear P95 acrylic, no one has any, no eta either.

7. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Well this sucks... just when I start getting a bunch of requests for sign face changes.

8. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

It's interesting to watch the market. Things you would have never thought of are experiencing shortages for odd reasons. I heard yesterday about aluminum cans and coins as well. 2020 still has plans to poke us a bit more I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yeah, whodathunk we'd have a toilet paper shortage ?? Talk about essentials. Of course, like some people, they just instal a bidet and get their jollies that way. :rolleyes:

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

I have been converting cans over to flex face. I use springs from McMaster Carr and new trim to hide it. I have the trim bent from a metal building supply. Basically its a Lind type setup.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  11. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Just curious if you guys are going to start reclaiming sign faces now. Or have you been doing that?
    I walked our warehouse today and it looks like we're down to a partial 8' roll here which will probably be gone before long.

12. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    We're seeing shortages in acrylic and polycarbonate. Back orders are going out 6 weeks or more.