• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polycrete expansion foam

ToneCustomSigns

Has anyone here used expansion foam to set posts? Not for anything large. Was thinking of parking signs or maybe a 4x8? Is it worth the money?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I used it a few times while doing work for another company. I don't like the idea of the chemicals and waste that's generated. Plus there is no weight to it. I watched a YouTube video on the comparison and the concrete held up much better.

JBurton

Signtologist
I thought the expansion foam was more for straightening existing poles that had started to lean, it's main selling point being you don't have to leave the pole hooked to a line truck while the concrete sets.

ToneCustomSigns

I saw this you tube video of utility workers using it to set a utility pole. Don't know if it's worth the money. I'm a 45 year old female and those bags of concrete get heavier every year. I usually have help if I'm doing anything bigger than a 4x8. I'll probably just stick with concrete. Thank for all the input!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
AFAIK, they don't set utility poles in concrete so they have some give and don't crack or break. They also have power lines holding them to a certain degree and tension cables throughout the run and on terminations. Guy wires I think? Whatever they are called.

JBurton

Signtologist
Oh, this reminds me, one trick of the trade at a WSA event was to use this stuff to demo monuments. They'd drill some holes, pour this or some other form of expanding foam into the holes, and come back the next day to load up the chunks.

Notarealsignguy

Oh, this reminds me, one trick of the trade at a WSA event was to use this stuff to demo monuments. They'd drill some holes, pour this or some other form of expanding foam into the holes, and come back the next day to load up the chunks.
or just knock it down with the same excavator that you use to load it up? No drilling holes, no added cost and no waiting

Notarealsignguy

so impatient.
veruca.jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
or just knock it down with the same excavator that you use to load it up? No drilling holes, no added cost and no waiting
I think this was something they'd been running into frequently, and they didn't like to rent equipment. For us, we'd just bring the jackhammer, as the medium kubota backhoe we have doesn't have enough weight to demo anything. Last big thing we demoed was a 12' tall brick monument, after messing with a rented bobcat with a jackhammer attachment for a while, we just tied it to the f750 bucket and pulled it down while idling. (it was pretty funny watching my old man try it with a tundra first, it just picked up the rear end when he tried to punch it.)

Notarealsignguy

I think this was something they'd been running into frequently, and they didn't like to rent equipment. For us, we'd just bring the jackhammer, as the medium kubota backhoe we have doesn't have enough weight to demo anything. Last big thing we demoed was a 12' tall brick monument, after messing with a rented bobcat with a jackhammer attachment for a while, we just tied it to the f750 bucket and pulled it down while idling. (it was pretty funny watching my old man try it with a tundra first, it just picked up the rear end when he tried to punch it.)
Get a real machine. This one has a shear and concrete muncher
IMG_9520.JPG

Mr.Signboy

Has anyone here used expansion foam to set posts? Not for anything large. Was thinking of parking signs or maybe a 4x8? Is it worth the money?
It works well for parking signs but I wouldn’t use it on anything bigger. It’s really awkward to use though. Once you open the bag you better be ready to pour it, and hope it doesn’t get on you... The downside is one bag will fill to holes for parking signs, but they have to be right next to each other because the chemical reaction happens faster than you can run to the next hole.

Joe House

I used it when replacing a rotted fence post. It's the Latch side of a gate. It was probably 10 years ago when I first heard of the stuff. The post is still solid, even after years of the gate slamming closed on it.