• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polyester Laminate?

I am trying out a new polyester 10 year UV scratch resistant laminate. It sounds like the perfect match for fire apparatus graphics, but one thing is bothering me. The supplier said that it "may cause wrinkling and bubbling if put over vinyl" due to the vinyl shrinking and the polyester not shrinking. I understand vinyl shrinks over time and polyester supposedly doesn't, but will this be a problem even if I am using high end vinyls? I will be putting it over Gerber 225 clear enamel receptive and 3M/Gerber reflective mostly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
After putting vinyl on 100's of vehicles [mostly motorcycles] over the years with many layers of liquid clearcoat completely engulfing the vinyl..... I've never seen one shrink. Incompatibility would be my thoughts on their little waiver, there.

After putting vinyl on 100's of vehicles [mostly motorcycles] over the years with many layers of liquid clearcoat completely engulfing the vinyl..... I've never seen one shrink. Incompatibility would be my thoughts on their little waiver, there.

That's mainly what I was wanting to know, I figured it was just a "CYA" statement, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. I would hate to have failures on expensive graphics because of the laminate.