• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

polystyrene and diecut vinyl question

chess24

Hi all,
I recently had a company ask if i could do a sign for them on polystyrene. From what ive researched it seems that a lot of people print on polystyrene or print on vinyl and attach it to the polystyrene sheet.
All i do is die-cut vinyl. I have no printer, soooo.
Questions:
1) Will the stuff from like Home Depot work?
2) Do I have to put down a layer of vinyl to cover the whole polystyrene sheet and then put down my vinyl lettering as a 2nd layer?

All help would be appreciated. Maybe this is a newb question but this polystyrene stuff is new to me. Feedback appreciated. Thanks

Pat Whatley

I don't think you know what you're talking about (but I've been wrong) but I don't think Home Depot is going to have polystyrene sheets. I'm guessing you're thinking of expanded polystyrene which is a soft foam, like insulation. I think the polystyrene they're talking about is smooth, hard, and white. It letters with vinyl just fine, we've used thousands of sheets of it over the years but you've got to keep in mind that stuff will yellow in a matter of weeks outdoors, and will yellow and get brittle indoors under fluorescent lights.

You'd be a lot better off with a PVC material.

Alumapanel offers sheets of the styrene if you have to use it... http://alumapanel.com/view_product.cfm?step=1&lines_ID=314&name=Polystyrene

chess24

Pat, you are right, i dont know much about this and is the first time ive researched it. I know that polystyrene can come in many forms, but wasnt sure where to get the sign type. What gauge would you recommend? This is for a construction company safety sign. And what type of PVC material do you speak of? I havent done a lot of signs, just mainly vehicle graphics. Thanks a bunch.

chess24

Thanks bayshore, grimco looks to be the place since theyre located in KC. I guess ill give them a polystyrene sign since thats what they asked for.
And Pat thanks for the help, like i said im very new to the sign industry, ive only done banners and signs on aluminum sheet metal. So thats the main reason i signed up here. I work out of my house by myself, so its kinda a hobby/part time job. But i appreciate all the feedback.

gnemmas

For exterior usage, coroplastic will outlast styrene both in UV and breakage. Lots of construction safety signs are secured to chainlink fence, .060 styrene will crack in a short time.

We always ask: WHERE is the sign going & HOW is it to be installed, to suggest a suitable substrade.

Mosh

I have 5 sheet of styrene in stock if you need some.
Regal Plastics in Omaha and Grimco in KC is where I get mine.