• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polystyrene, good for outdoors? what thickness?

Spencer McMurtry

I learned the hard way PVC does not hold up outdoors, i am looking for a replacement for outdoor 1 year max signs. will polystyrene hold up out doors? and what thickness is best? .020, .030, .060? or should i stick with 10mm chloroplast? or other? I am currently order substrates from grimco as they have a warehouse close by.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Basically, anything 1/4" or less is gonna warp all over the place. Even MDO at 3/8" will warp.

Need to know:
What is the finish size ??
How is it being installed or mounted ??
Painted or vinyl backing ??
Digital prints going down or die cut or hand painted copy and graphics ??

Spencer McMurtry

It would be a digital print with oracal 3165RA sizes up to 4'x8' it mounting would be untop of a old sign (to reface it temporary)
as of now i am thinking 10mm chloroplast is the way to go

Thanks!

Steve Werner

The pvc and the styrene will probably yellow at very similar rates outdoors. The styrene will have worse cold crack resistance than the pvc, as well as general poorer flex modulus properties than the pvc. I would stick with the Coroplast if I were you, or you could look at HDPE with a UV inhibitor added. I sell alot of that for real estate signage now, it doesn't always have the best lay flat properties but it's relatively cheap and extremely durable.

MikePro

Coroplast is nice, for cheapo signage.
Alucobond or cintra is what I use for anything else that has to last a looong time... although Cintra can still warp.