• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polystyrene?

Signed Out

Is polystyrene much more rigid then sintra? I'm looking for a material that is similar to a credit card. Looking for good thin rigid plastic sign material. Also does it crack easily outdoors in cold weather? How easily does this stuff cut using a keen cut wall cutter. Thanks for any info.

Ditchmiester

We use this material as little as possible because it is so cheap. It won't stand up outdoors at all. If you are using white it will be yellow from the UV rays pretty quickly. It also does crack very easily. The good thing about it is that it does cut very easy on a wall cutter.

Pat Whatley

You can cut .125" styrene by scoring it once with an x-acto knife and bending it. It will snap right through. The wall cutter won't have any trouble at all.

That said....styrene will last outdoors for weeks. Sunlight breaks it down really quickly. It turns yellow and gets ridiculously brittle. In cold weather? Shatters.

I still use a good bit of it for temporary interior signs and the .040 material is an excellent substitute of white acrylic in short-term interior backlit signs. Anything long-term you're going to need a better material.

Signed Out

What is a similar product in terms of rigidness that isn't as brittle and degradable? I've seen these signs before for outdoor use. Maybe they were acrylic?