• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pop up sign makers everywhere

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
There’s been a large influx of home based sign makers / wrappers in my area , funny how they all gather on FB asking the most basic questions.... ( all could be answered by product rep. Or google ) my fav is the one who makes reference to perforator vinyl and if it needs laminate.Another tried to tell me the shrinkage of vinyl was supposed to gradually happen to give it that “ halo “ effect . The sign man said ...
The plus is my phone is rigging off the hook to fix the unfix able..... people don’t like to hear start again , nothing can be salvaged. Two jobs I bided on but they saved $100. Going with someone else - “ ( they used crap sign board and a no name Chinese vinyl ) don’t get me wrong, there are many very good if not excellent in home sign shops out there just far and few ....
sorry end of rant carry on

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Well, those people take the bottom feeder customers so I dont care.
i just dont like giving the bad news but i love being able to help with the redo
had a guy tell me i was just badmouthing his sign because i didn't do it , i told him if i did his sign and there was a problem i would be there not him being here . he looked down to the floor and said he'd be back ...doubt it

Christian @ 2CT Media

This is every industry, especially now with everyone empowered to be their own boss.

I've spent the last 10 years trying to break our stigma of a small garage company and retrain clients. We never operated trying to sell at the bottom or cutting corners, but large clients always thought they could push us around.

For your market, just remember 1 in 10 of those home based businesses will be your next fierce competitor or they could be an ally! Help them and they are less likely to eat your lunch when they get the chance.

bannertime

The best thing about it, they'll take jobs that I don't want, and I get to fix jobs they mess up. I also get more money when we've got to rush things because they couldn't get the order done in time. Or my favorite is when they ask me to make stuff for them!

Billct2

I never liked the "they take customers I don't want" theory. Every person who uses a hack is a potential lost client. Lots of customers start out cheap and ignorant but some of them turn into long term repeat customers. And those places that are "giving it away" because they have
no overhead" just hurt the market in general.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
There’s been a large influx of home based sign makers / wrappers

I've noticed it in a lot of other areas also. The democratization of technology has been far-reaching, and very liberating to say the least. In the right hands, it produces a great benefit to society but when mishandled, it causes us all a lot of grief.

I'm amused how some startups have tremendously explosive growth, and then quietly pass from the scene a short while later...it kinda reminds me of fireworks. It used to bother me at first...making me think that I'm not doing enough...OR BORROWING ENOUGH...to make any significant noise of my own. But in the end, I guess that's the difference between cornstalks and oak trees.

JB

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have installed many a printer in a suburban garage or basement. It seems to be the side gig for a lot of people who already are successful in their day jobs. Every year the cost of entry into this industry lowers and more people will join up. More people will fail too.

bannertime

I never liked the "they take customers I don't want" theory. Every person who uses a hack is a potential lost client. Lots of customers start out cheap and ignorant but some of them turn into long term repeat customers. And those places that are "giving it away" because they have
no overhead" just hurt the market in general.

I think the key here is that the hack won't be able to make the customer happy. Thus bringing them back to a more legitimate shop. I think we're missing the true villain here. Print Brokers and the companies that sell to them. Ya know? There's no investment, no training, no skill, just pure sales. And they probably do it better than me. No one really likes the middle man.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
M-A-N..... it's a good thing you guys aren't Pizza shop or Chinese Restaurant owners. Cripes, talk about one on every corner..............

Z SIGNS

I would not worry about pop ups shops.They make the competent shops look all the better.Does the fine restaurant care if a Mcdonald's opens in the neighborhood?Hone your skills and outshine them and you will have nothing to worry about.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I think we're missing the true villain here. Print Brokers and the companies that sell to them. Ya know? There's no investment, no training, no skill, just pure sales. And they probably do it better than me. No one really likes the middle man.

But I find it amusing that Home Depot, Lowes and Menards sells to homeowners, wannabe contractors, and seasoned contractors...and yet the seasoned contractors still thrive amidst it all.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Recently, my wife told me about a billboard she saw and the billboard company was tooting their own horn and advertising that they sell banners, now. I said, ya know.......they've been doing that for a long long time.

See if they wanna do a 4' x 12' banner. :doh:

bannertime

But I find it amusing that Home Depot, Lowes and Menards sells to homeowners, wannabe contractors, and seasoned contractors...and yet the seasoned contractors still thrive amidst it all.

I'm sure the contractors experience the same things we do. I think a those companies better compare to VistaPrint offering reseller discounts than say someone like 4over selling to general public.

Sky Graphics

One of my favorite customers is a Fast Signs franchise. They send me customers every week. 99% of them I've retained for years. I'm only a two person shop but we have over 40 yrs. experience. I don't mind fixing other people's mistakes. It makes us look really good.

HulkSmash

happens in every single industry.. i could care less, don't want those clients. So they're honestly doing me a favor

ams

Let me start out by saying that right now everyone is into DIY projects, it has spawned websites like Etsy which has countless thousands of people on it making signs. The business minded people are trying to start sign businesses with cricut plotters. Others buy their friends printer and try to start a sign shop. One of the biggest issues is paper printing companies such as Staples, Sir Speedy Printing, Zipprint, etc. All of the ones in my area are now offering vehicle lettering, flatbed printing, post & panels, etc. They often are horrible failures but they think they can do it because they know how to print. (These are examples of print companies not saying they are horrible companies)

Second, renting a commercial space, hiring employees, doing payroll, insurance, taxes, etc is a lot of money and a huge hassle. By doing it out of your house, you save a ton of time and money. I've seen people doing their printing in their living room. A simple website can make you look like a sign professional. So all in all, they won't stop, but we can educate our customers about the difference and the liability that goes with it.

I am actually working on a project that will educate the general public on sign shop scams and how to avoid them. Don't worry, not tearing any shop down that uses cheaper products or smaller shops trying to learn by making mistakes. It's simply the Aholes that give all sign companies a bad name.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Funny part of this whole thing is..... this has been happening since the mid 80s...... and before. Back then, it was the people buying these new fangled computerized machines and turning out perfectly made ugly signs. The talent hasn't gotten any better, but the machines sure make the talentless people look good for the most part.

If ya think about it for a second and step outside your 2D or 3D box made with a computer...... what is the difference of when one or two countries in the world held all the power in their hands to blow the whole place up and made it sound like rocket science compared to today, when everyone has the know-how, just not the money to do it ?? The cost and technology is becoming easier and easier to obtain and now everyone is running scared. What are these nitwits gonna do with this new found power once they have it ?? Well, they're gonna unleash it to show THEY can play in the big games too, just like all these little living room and basement dwellers setting up shop. They have the big guys running scared at the moment. Keep making up excuses that they don't bother ya and they too, will grow into what you are, and just maybe better at it. Only time will tell.