• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Porcelain Enamel Signs

klmiller611

The railroad historical society I am involved with is in the last stages of complete restoration of a fire damaged 1910 built station. The original drawings specify some porcelain enamel signs to identify various areas.

I realize this would be only a small run, but these are pretty simple signs but a shaped blank. I've produced the artwork for them. Does anyone here have any recommendation of a maker of these.

Again, this would be a small run of these things, 4-5 different signs, quantity would be dependent on price, but likely no more than 10 of each.

On the other side of the equation, anyone got any suggestions of how to replicate the look without the cost?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Best
Ken

Billct2

Were they embossed? Usually those were back then, not sure where you could find them now, though they are probably out there.
If you want them to look like they did when new I think a routed face to simulate the embossed letters and a high gloss finish might do it.
That may be too thick though. So maybe have the letters & border routed then vhb/glue to a flat aluminum panel and paint.

rjssigns

If its a metal sign powder coating should give you the look you want. Embossing the metal would be mega-dollar though. Or you could CNC a vac form, use the form to make the sign(s) then shoot it with base/clear. As long as they were never handled no one would know the difference.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
There is a local place near me that does great custom plastic pan faces. They do a lot of national accounts (Dunkin Donuts being one) and all over the country. FaceCrafters in North Little Rock. I don't believe they do anything other than plastic though but it's worth a shot.

Billct2

I like that idea. Plastic formed faces would simulate embossed metal pretty well.
Then paint to get the right finish.

TimToad

There was a poster a few months ago who did this cool effect on the rocker panel of a car. He applied cut vinyl letters and then laid his color change vinyl over that and it had a pretty realistic embossed look to it.

I would imagine you could have a cnc router do a very shallow 1/16"-1/8" rout of the background of a piece of HDU followed with a roundover of the letter edges, then really lay on the paint thick and glossy.

klmiller611

The original signs, of which I have one, are not actually embossed into the metal. They are on steel, not sure of the thickness, but probably less than 1/16th. However, the process does give the letters a look of a very slight raised surface, barely enough to feel. I think it is such a tiny amount, thinner than you would be able to accomplish with a router.

Since this is a historic restoration, I'd love to be able to do an exact replica, but even that is not feasible, as in 1910 segregation was the rule, and this place was no exception.

Thanks
Ken

Z SIGNS

If I had to fake a porcelain sign

Paint mask and one shot rolled onto a one shot coated alum panel with a nice glossy clear on top of that would be pretty cheap, easy & convincing