• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Portable Drill Press?

dlndesign

Has anyone used something like this? I am looking for one and would like to get some input on any good ones that are out there. Good/Bad reviews are welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• Product003029_lg.jpg
    Product003029_lg.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 125

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably nothing wrong with it for home projects, but for a portable situation, most of your better drills come with a guide for going straight and repetitive use.

dlndesign

Its going to be for the shop, but there hasn't been a real need to invest in a good drill press. I am just looking for something that will work, and will give me accurate and straight holes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a drill press for my house to replace the one I broke about a year ago. It only cost about $125.00.

signmeup

That looks like a piece of crap. A cheap Chinese one will serve you better than that. I can't believe they still make those.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Check craigslist & test the tool when you're there to buy it.
A nice benchtop drillpress goes for about $50 on there & will be good & accurate.

Pat Whatley

What you posted looks like it would work just fine, my thought though is what are you drilling that's going to require you to be that accurate? If you need to be that accurate you might as well invest in a cheap drill press.

We bought a $59 Harbor Freight drill press about 10 years ago. We've easilly drilled 10,000 holes with it and never had a problem. Drill presses are fairly simple technology.

JimmyG

I would go with a small bench mount drill press like bayshore and Pat mentioned above...you can bolt it to a 18" square of 3/4" plywood and easily take it to the offsite job in the back of your pickup....Way more accuracy and power than the clamp the drill rigs....

Keith Rae

Go down to your local pawn shop you can probably buy a small drill press cheap haggle on price cause there's more pawn shops down the road. I worked for a guy that bought a hand drill Press attachment and the drill doesn't always fit in well so when you hit something hard the drill cocks sideways and if your drill has a gears in the head and not a direct drive motor shaft to the chuck you will get sideways movement in the chuck. If you don't have multiple drills you have the hassle of installing and removing the drill. good luck shopping

CrabbyOldGuy

I have a Craftsman unit for a portable drill. I got it to do some hobby milling for which it worked well enough. If I was to do any more than that, I would look at a cheap benchtop drill press as for most things, they would be more than adequate. I usually buy heavy duty professional grade tools but you have to equal out the amount of use it will get.