Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Engraver for tools?

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Engravers' started by backwoodsgirl, Nov 22, 2018.

1. backwoodsgirl

backwoodsgirl Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Michigan
    Hey gang.
    My biggest sign customer is a facility that employs many mechanics. With that comes many tools, laptops, electronics. They’re looking for someone to come in and engrave the company name on every tool which would range from wrenches to air tools, laptops, cell phones etc. we’re talking thousands of tools. To deter theft.
    Im a sign maker but know nothing about engravers.... but I’m sure I’d get this engraving job if I could pull it off. So, Is there a type of engraver that would be suitable for this and also be portable enough that I could take it on site a few times a year? What’s the learning curve on software to run such machines? TIA!

Tags:
  2. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Dot peen marker, for sure.

JB

• Like Like x 1
  3. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    A fiber laser probably would be best but even then you have to understand there is setup involved. Also some materials either can't or shouldn't be engraved.

With so many variables, the job will have complexity. What they're looking to accomplish isn't a small ask.

4. Glavin_ID

Glavin_ID Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    If they want an actual physical engraving, Vision Mark has a nice small rotary machine that is portable. Others above are correct though, there is no single technology that will be able to mark all of their stuff. You may need to employ multiple technologies to be able to mark everything.

5. backwoodsgirl

backwoodsgirl Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Michigan
    So I understand, a fiber laser can engrave all uncoated metals?

And a dual source co2/fiber engraver can do metals, plastics, wood?

6. backwoodsgirl

backwoodsgirl Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Michigan
    No worries, Small task isn’t my thing ;)believe it or not I am teachable.

7. 2CT Media

2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I would get a portable galvo fiber and galvo co2 and you should be able to do it all.

• Agree Agree x 1