• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Portable Printer

Sticky Signs

I've got a few large site surveys coming up. I was thinking it would be pretty handy to bring along a potable printer with me. You know, take some photos, import to laptop and than print, take measurements, etc...
Can anyone recommend a decently priced portable color printer?

Si Allen

SURE .... do a site survey, draw up a rendering, and print it out for the prospective customer!

NOW .... he has something to shop around with! ... AND you will be left wondering why you did not get the job?

I take along my laptop and digicam do a quick layout superimposed on the picture. I then will give him an estimated price and get a deposit BEFORE he gets a copy that I will email back to him with a firm price.

If he doesn't agree to a deposit, then I have wasted a little time, BUT he doesn't get something to go price shopping!

Sticky Signs

Wow Si! Who pissed your cornflakes? I guess not all PhD's pay attention to detail. I'm re-reading my post trying to figure out where is says I wanted to give my print-outs to the client immediately. Common now, shouldn't you be getting drunk and stroking profiles or something?

Thanks to everyone else for their "helpfull" input.

My wife bought a portable printer for her job...it works great but it goes through a fair bit of ink and the cartridges don't last as long as desktop.

I've been sitting on the fence about buying one myself. It would be useful to take a photo, print it out and jot down the measurements on the print out.

~Chris

1leonchen

a couple years a go some one asked me the same question. he wanted to print his invoices on the road. he was a garage door installer but when he did a repair he wanted professional invoices. i was given the task. i bough a cheap hp desk jet for around 30 dollars and a inverter and wired it in his truck. i lasted a good time. i would take the chance and buy a cheap printer even some thing refurbished and run it. only reason i bought the hp was every time u changed the cart u changed the print heads. and the paper tray was closed inside the cover and i used a peice of foam to keep it tight and a Velcro strap on the outside to keep it closed. i also used a custom bracket out of aluminum and marine sealant to permanently glue the printer in place

threads1

Hey Sticky,

I usedto do site surveys. Easy money....go to staples and get a cheapo hp. It will do a great job and last a long time...and besides they make them so small now it won't use a big footprint.

I use to print out a google earth view of the location and insert a number at each photo point.