• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

portable seat

signguy35

what do you guys use for a seat when installing vehicle graphics on location? at my last job the owner's father was a sign painter and he had made a wooden box that could expand out the end to raise and lower, sorry if that is confusing. I dont want a bucket because I am a taller guy and getting down and up on those for a fleet of vehicles gets old. Just seeing what everybody else uses. Thanks.

d fleming

I try my best to do them at the shop but not always possible. I toss my trusty 20$ red stool from harbor freight in the truck and use that.

Msrae

Rae
what do you guys use for a seat when installing vehicle graphics on location? at my last job the owner's father was a sign painter and he had made a wooden box that could expand out the end to raise and lower, sorry if that is confusing. I dont want a bucket because I am a taller guy and getting down and up on those for a fleet of vehicles gets old. Just seeing what everybody else uses. Thanks.

Like d fleming said - Harbor freight has a decent seat.
http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-adjustable-roller-seat-46319.html

d fleming

They have a more expensive one with a biker looking seat on it. Don't get that. Wheels are garbage. If the 20$ seat dies it's only 20$

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've had this as long as I can remember. Someone gave it to me, back in the 70's. It's served me well. It was already old when I got it.

You can use it as a step stool by turning it on it's side and it's easy to carry. Put the reflective on it, so we can see it when the lights are off by shining a light around.

creeper seat.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I watched a video of a vehicle wrap where an older gentleman had a wooden box that looked to be about 3 or 4ft tall by 2' x 2'6" or so.
When it was standing on end it acted as a tool stand & had cutouts to hold his heater gun without burning anything.
Dropped on it's side it was it was a work step/platform that gave him enough reach to do the drip rails and some of the top.
Laid down flat it was low enough to be a seat. He was just kicking it around to where he needed it.
Can't find the video but it looked really useful.
I'm thinking to build something similar with casters on one of the long sides so I can sit & scoot around, flip it wheels up & use it as a step.

wayne k
guam usa

gabagoo

I picked up this aluminum seat that is used by seniors in a bathtub. Strange as it may sound it sits very low and has rubber feet, so it does not move when you are leaning over to reach out to squeegee. It is designed to be very comfortable and you sit very low....great for working on pick up doors. You can adjust the height as well. The only bad thing I found was that because it is aluminum and the seat part is a plastic material, you can get quite a nasty shock considering it has rubber feet, each time you pick it up (very light) to move it around. I cured that issue by fastening a 2 foot length of aviation cable to ground it.

I used to use those seats that mechanics use with wheels on the bottom, but they are so cheaply made they kept breaking...maybe time for a diet too. lol

jfiscus

Rap Master
Once the office chairs get looking ratty here we pull the backs/arms off and throw them out in the garage for the installers. Comfy seats, adjustable heights. And if they accidentally get lost/stolen/left oh well.

Johnny Best

The ultimate portable seat for the long trips and wrapping semis all day.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 1.17.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 1.17.47 PM.png
    347.8 KB · Views: 152

signbrad

wooden box that could expand out the end to raise and lower

These were made by Hockema Signs in Hockema, Indiana in the 70s. He called them Adjust-a-stool.
I bought two at 35 dollars each. When I tried a couple years later to get another one he said he sold them all and wasn't going to make any more, but he sold me the hardware to make another one.
He has since passed away.

These are the only tools I have that are pushing forty years old. I used to stand on the high end till I stopped trusting my balance. I used to take it up on wall jobs, too, when I worked off pick-and-ladders. I could sit on the pick for one height of lettering, then sit on the box at several more heights, then finally stand. It allowed me to avoid having to awkwardly bend over, especially helpful if the ladders were a little shaky. And I could avoid raising the pick more times than I needed to.

The heart of the stool is a pair of spring-loaded pins, similar to the picture below, mounted to the inside box. The pins enter evenly spaced holes drilled into the sides of the outside box, holding the inside box at its various heights. A simple linkage pulls the pins inward when a ring is pulled up at the top of the inside box. I periodically rubbed the sides of the inside box with paraffin to keep the sliding action smooth.

The actual pins used have holes drilled in the little ball ends for attachment to the linkage that pulls them back. Other than that, the picture below looks just like them.

Brad in Kansas City

WHW6360--.jpg