• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Possible to use colorchange wrap vinyl on inside of glass to be seen from outside?

victor bogdanov

I have a customer that wants to use some colorchange car wrap vinyl on windows but the catch is it has to be installed on the inside of glass to be viewed from the outside. Some of these vinyls are only colored/special effects on the from side so the standard reverse cut and apply to clear wouldn't work.

Any other way of doing this or are there any special effect vinyls that are the same color on both sides, chrome, color change, metallics, glitter etc.

Would be wording/text

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I would say no way. But people on here are always mentioning material I didn't know existed. Gonna be pricey if it does exist though.

unclebun

Wrap vinyls for cars have gray textured adhesive. That's all you will see from the outside if you install to the inside of glass.

victor bogdanov

Wrap vinyls for cars have gray textured adhesive. That's all you will see from the outside if you install to the inside of glass.
yes i need to figure out a way to make the from side sticky.

I'm thinking of applying to clear, adhesive side to adhesive side then cutting the clear with an offset to create a clear glue edge. will test it out

unclebun

All of the special effects rely on layered materials to get their effects. It has to go on the outside for it to be seen.

BigNate

yes i need to figure out a way to make the from side sticky.

I'm thinking of applying to clear, adhesive side to adhesive side then cutting the clear with an offset to create a clear glue edge. will test it out
Clear mounting film is what you are looking for (they also have opaque)....... "1 mill Mojave clear mounting film" Kelly Paper item #7003329 should do the trick laminate it on the color changing film peal off the backing and adhere it to the window (you may still need to do something to the original adhesive which would not be facing inside the room? maybe use the adhesive to hold a poster or mural - it sounds like they are covering up the window anyways.)

victor bogdanov

Clear mounting film is what you are looking for (they also have opaque)....... "1 mill Mojave clear mounting film" Kelly Paper item #7003329 should do the trick laminate it on the color changing film peal off the backing and adhere it to the window (you may still need to do something to the original adhesive which would not be facing inside the room? maybe use the adhesive to hold a poster or mural - it sounds like they are covering up the window anyways.)
this would be cut lettering/cut designs not simply mounting a rectangle.

do you think it be possible to cut the mounting film on a flatbed cutter with adhesive facing up and then reapply the backing sheet?

BigNate

this would be cut lettering/cut designs not simply mounting a rectangle.

do you think it be possible to cut the mounting film on a flatbed cutter with adhesive facing up and then reapply the backing sheet?
you can laminate all the layers before you cut out the lettering... I have seen reverse stickers make this exact way, just not color changing - it was printed on good non-adhesive paper, laminated to the adhesive on the image side, then contour cut... I recall something about making sure the marks were not covered up so it knew where to cut...

White Haus

Not a Newbie
What finish/color/look is your client looking for, specifically?

Lots of mylar/polyester/metallic films have the same finish on adhesive side, just depends what you're looking for and how wide of a roll you need to use.

victor bogdanov

What finish/color/look is your client looking for, specifically?

Lots of mylar/polyester/metallic films have the same finish on adhesive side, just depends what you're looking for and how wide of a roll you need to use.

This is as specific as they got "metallic pastel colors or metallic bright colors"

In the past I've used holographic film , gold and chrome and rose gold for this customer, this time they want something similarly cool but different from what has been used in the past

National jeweler using it in storefront windows but many locations do not allow vinyl (or anything) on the outside of the windows/glass

White Haus

Not a Newbie
This is as specific as they got "metallic pastel colors or metallic bright colors"
Gee, that's pretty specific isn't it?! :roflmao:

What if you print your "pastel" or "bright" color on clear vinyl, then back it with metallic silver vinyl?

Then cut all your text/logos/whatever in reverse, weed, mask, apply on inside of glass.

victor bogdanov

Gee, that's pretty specific isn't it?! :roflmao:

What if you print your "pastel" or "bright" color on clear vinyl, then back it with metallic silver vinyl?

Then cut all your text/logos/whatever in reverse, weed, mask, apply on inside of glass.

I've played around with printing on silver before but doesn't turn out good imo, too dull/dark but I haven't tried print on clear and back with silver. Ill play around with it

JBurton

Signtologist
Sounds vague. I'd put together a sample of printed clear colors, with 3m intermediate reflective behind. The reflective has a very similar appearance front and back, so it could generate a metallic shade of whatever pastel flavor you can print on clear.