• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Possibly time for a new printer.... suggestions.

Wrapdup

Currently running a Mutoh Vj and thinking about a change. Looked into a roland or a epson. Any thoughts or suggestions on either brand or a different one?

FatCat

Not to thread hijack, but I am in the same boat, we run a 1604 and 1304 here currently, and I'm not sure what my next step is. I've heard good feedback about the latex printers, especially the new 300 series from HP. However, I must say that I really haven't had much to complain about with these Mutohs. The single head DX5 prints great and is easy to maintain and I run 3rd party ink which really helps keep my costs down.

The downside I see on the latex is that you're "stuck" with buying consumables like heads and ink from HP and if they want to all of a sudden want to double the price of those items who could stop them from gouging down the road? I dunno, I guess I will keep running these until I have a solid reason to upgrade...

heyskull

We are also in the stages of sorting a new printer to replace our vj1604 or run alongside.
We originally looked at the 1304 but I am glad we went for the bigger machine.
But on looking at what is new and innovative their is very little that is new.
Unless you are moving into latex printers I cannot fault the valuejet.
Short of a new print head and a couple of service stations it still prints as good as it did when it was new 7 years ago!
I am looking at a 1624 just for the fact that it is technology I am familiar with.
The 1638 is just a head ache waiting to happen with two print heads. Yes it's faster but do you really need faster?
Keep in touch with your decision.

SC

heyskull

I think on the latex machines you have to replace heads every six months.
But they are a lot cheaper......but for how long?

SC

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you are comfortable running the Mutoh I would look at the 1324 and 1624. The interface is pretty much the same but the print head technology is newer and faster. I have one customer who has two of the 1624s and I have only been out on a service call twice in 3 years. Mostly just maintenance and consumable parts being replaced.

JEFB1956

No Problem with Rolands

Currently running a Mutoh Vj and thinking about a change. Looked into a roland or a epson. Any thoughts or suggestions on either brand or a different one?
I have had great service from Rolands. I am currently sell a 2011 Roland XJ640. We purchased it to run wall covering, but lost the account. Great printer low hours. jeff@behlmanndigital.com

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm partial to Latex, there is no time stamp on the heads some can last months or a year.

The cost of entry, production, and maintenance is far lower then a lot of options and the flexibility it allows is phenomenal. The new 300 series is amazing and will be our next purchase, from the test prints we have done with our supplier. The scratch resistance is amazing with out laminate.