• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Post and Panel Redux

rdm01

Hello,
I have a client who is looking to update his post and panel sign. It was done years ago, and had been refaced last year but now it is time for a full revamp. Currently it is 2 sheets of 4' x 8' Alumalite w/pressure treated 4" x 4" posts, and he has mentioned that he may want to switch it to one central post.

While I have made and installed many post and panel signs, I have not done one with a central post. It seems to me there would be much more engineering involved, with the entire process being more complex. Has anybody found a simple source for some shop drawings or information on a good way to do this. I am not looking for someone to do all the work, but would hate to reinvent the wheel if there is an easy system that exists.

The sign will be 4' - 5' off the ground, so a total height of 8' x 9'. My estimate puts the pole at about a 12' - 14' pole, but I really don't know what kind of structure is going to be required to hold the faces to the pole.
Thanks in advance!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If I'm understanding, the two 4'x8' faces would be attached to the single pole so they form a 8'x8' face? And that face would be 5' above grade? So the finished product would be 13' overall height? If so, your pier should be a little over 4' deep, which means your total support length would be 17'.

I don't have any reference material in front of me but that's too much surface area for a single 4''x4'' wood post that high up in the air.

rdm01

Sorry,
Two separate faces on either side of the sign, so the post doesn't interrupt the message.

I think we may have to upgrade this one to a metal pole, and cement it it.
Ryan