• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Post heating on fiberglass boat?

Tattoosleeve

I was told not to post heat on a fiberglass boat by another installer but just watched the 3m boat install video and they recommend post heating to the same temperatures for regular vehicle panels. Anybody run into problems post heating on fiberglass panels or hulls?

Dakotagrafx

interesting though - most body kits don't have wood stiffening laminated into them. Had a friend that had to remove the gel coat from his 50' sailboat hull because it was delaminating from the rest of the fiberglass and wood underlayment. was a very very expensive operation. Would be bad to have that blamed on the heating from an instalation. If I remember correctly about 8 years ago that was over 20K - they guy said he would get rid of his wife before getting rid of his boat.

formanek

I was told not to post heat on a fiberglass boat by another installer but just watched the 3m boat install video and they recommend post heating to the same temperatures for regular vehicle panels. Anybody run into problems post heating on fiberglass panels or hulls?

I wouldn't even think twice about it. Heat the hell out of it. The boats are made to withstand a lot more heat than you are going to give them. Also remember that you are heating the material on top and the boat materials will get a little less heat.

Put it in your release form that the customer signs that you will be post heating to xxx degrees and if they sign off they sign off.