• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Post/panel Installing 4x8 3mm ACM sign

First time poster here. I’ve been in the business 13 years but mainly doing vehicle lettering, trailer lettering, banners, magnets, small metal signs, etc.

I made a one sided 3mm 4x8 acm sign for a customer that I thought was going on the outside of a building. (The reason for the 3mm). He now wants it installed in he ground. I’ve never had to do one of these. Can I simply set a couple 4x4 or 6x6 posts, build a treated 2x4 frame around the perimeter with one or two horizontal braces to screw the sign to and mount it to the posts? Thanks in advance for your advice.

rjssigns

Yes, that will work.

My method is to make dadoes in the posts to receive the cross members. Easy to assemble on site while keeping everything square and rigid. Super easy to tip assembled frame into the holes. Not having to worry about handling separate pieces in the field is worth a few extra minutes in the shop.;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd use the 4" x 4" posts buried well in the ground.... maybe 42" I would use at least 3 uprights besides the end pieces in the framework..... or just screw a 3/4" piece of plywood to the 4 x 4s and fasten the ACM to that. Bring the posts in a foor from each end and you'll have enough strength.

We would typically use 6mm ACM or corugated aluminum for that type of application but 3mm is doable, I suppose. I agree with Gino on adding something to make it more rigid. In high wind areas, 3mm probably won't fair as well without some extra support added.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I don't think he needs 3 posts, Gino. Horizontal support is fine. I'd probably run a vertical stringer between the two 2 bys so it doesn't sag.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
All overkill. Drop a couple of 4x4's into the ground and attach a couple of horizontal stringers. I'd use 2x4's but 2x6's probably would make you feel better. It's only a 4x8, it's not going anywhere and it's not going to sag.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
All overkill. Drop a couple of 4x4's into the ground and attach a couple of horizontal stringers. I'd use 2x4's but 2x6's probably would make you feel better. It's only a 4x8, it's not going anywhere and it's not going to sag.

In high wind areas...that will not do.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think he needs 3 posts, Gino. Horizontal support is fine. I'd probably run a vertical stringer between the two 2 bys so it doesn't sag.

I didn't mean three posts, just a frame with 3 uprights inside. But, then I thought it might be better just to put 2 posts 6' apart with a 4 x 8 piece of plywood and attach the ACM to it.

ams

I've installed over 150 post and panel signs, let me know if you need advice. These are the things you need.

s-l300.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've installed over 150 post and panel signs, let me know if you need advice. These are the things you need.

View attachment 135761

For a 48" x 96" 3mm ACM board ?? Are you nuts ?? They'll never hold it in weather, snow plows, heavy winds and so on. That thing would wave in the wind with those little brackets. Perhaps a 36" x 48" might work in 6mm or 10mm, but not a 4 x 8.

ams

I'm pretty sure U brackets are only available in 1/4"-3/4", although I could be wrong. In any case, these are not what you want to use for 3 mm (1/8") ACM.

1/4" would work, it's going to be flexible. Once you start getting into building a complete frame for it, you might as well make a new 1/2" sign.