• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Post-Print Protection

Sledhead

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to use for protecting rigid prints? Also what to stay away from.

UV coaters like the Drytac are just as expensive as our FB500 printer. Are there other types of clear coats or varnishes out there that can will protect against heavy abrasion? How do you apply them? Brush-on or Spray-on?

Sledhead

Thanks Mike. The Frog Juice looks to be some nasty stuff. The Maribu Clear Shield comes in a water-based version they call Production Clear that is intended for UV inks.

I am still interested to hear from others about how they apply these clear coats. HVLP sprayer, foam roller or do you have to invest in a roller coater to get high quality results??

J Hill Designs

foam roller for larger applications, foam brush for smaller ones (clear shield water based for solvent prints) -- frog juice for thermal prints, either the aerosol can, or HVLP gun depending again on size (sometimes I'll even just use the frogskin edge foil)