Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your worktable/workspace!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by kmacabale, Oct 29, 2013.

1. kmacabale

kmacabale New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Palm Desert, CA
    Hello guys new guy to the fourm. We are thinking about changing our work space around and we are looking for some ideas. Could you guys post some pictures of your worktable/workspace. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tags:
  2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Welcome!

Post up some pictures of your workspace now, maybe a floor plan that's to scale showing where your equipment and fixtures are currently located. There are a lot of great minds here, seeing how your space is currently set up will help us understand your workflow and could lead to some great advice on rearranging.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA......................

4. kmacabale

kmacabale New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Palm Desert, CA
    Here are a few shop pictures. http://imgur.com/a/8XvM3 We do a lot of small format printing since we are mainly a reprographics shop. But we are starting to do more banners, foam core mounting and large format printing etc.

5. CreatedDesigns

CreatedDesigns Member

May 26, 2013
    Lone Rock, WI
    I bet OSHA and the local fire inspector love that blocked Exit door.

Have you thought about putting in a second level you have a lot of space you are not utilizing I would suggest to install a mezzanine and put paper/roll stock above and machines on bottom level and put the racking on second level also. You have so many small units it looks like a hard area to work in. Just my initial thoughts.

6. k_graham

k_graham Member

Sep 6, 2013
    CAnada
    Here is a 4 x 8 using some extra boltless ez-rect steel shelving we had, 3/4" plywood underneath 1" on top with 1/4" puckboard on top of that.

Cross pieces are available to 4' wide, lengthwise in 4, 5, 6 and 8

We just put in a 61" HP Latex to compliment our offset and digital printing of the last 30+ years, thinking the ideal might be a 6' width, unfortunately limited to about 8 foot length unless we revamp shop. We could customize the table to 6x8 by joining 2 of 4x6 and continue repeating that in future to 3 of 4x6 etc. I like the modular use of the shelving and ability to reuse it from shelving to mezzanines, though have never had the premise with height for that. What would you consider the ideal width of large format table for a 60" printer?

Ken

Attached Files:

7. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    All you have to say is, "It's temporary."

I'm not agreeing, but that came straight from an inspector regarding a blocked exit and cords running across the floor at a facility other than that in which I am employed.

8. rfulford

rfulford Active Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Orlando
    The same might be true for the electrical panel. Our fire department requires 4' of clearance in front of the electrical panels.

Mezzanines are a great idea since you have such tall ceilings. I notice you do not have an in-feed or out-feed table for your laminator. I would consider moving things around to so you can position the tables in front and behind the laminator.

9. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Internal and external storage with hinged 5'x10' grid and cutting mat.

Attached Files:

10. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    perfect idea.

11. nikdoobs

nikdoobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2013
    lafayette, la
    I like your never assume anything banner.

12. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    I would go as big as possible, i got a 8'x16' table and sometimes thats not enough.

13. neil_se

neil_se Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Qld, Australia
    I've got one 5x10' steel-framed bench with laminated glass top, but it weights about 1000lb (literally).

I have another two 5x10' timber-framed tables with acrylic tops. They're on castors so we can make a 5x20' or 10x10' table for large tiled signs. The only large self-healing mats I've found in Aus are stupidly expensive.