• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Poster Printer

Billct2

I am considering switching from the HP Aqueous printers (5000ps & Z6100ps) we have been using for many years to do paper signs.
The cost of consumables is going up so I was thinking of looking at other machines.
If you were picking a printer with these parameters what would it be
1. Low cost per square foot for paper printing.
2. Extremely reliable, low maintenance
3. At least 54"
4. Built in rip would be nice
The ability to run other materials like banner & vinyl is a plus but not neccesary.
Thanks for any suggestions.

kanini

As much as I love the Rolands I would go with a latex for your specific use just because of the drying time on paper (you can cut them directly without fearing smears etc. on high coverage prints). The maintenance is also perhaps a tad easier on the latex? If you definately want eco-solvent then the VersaArt is the way to go! Just my .02...

Bly

Latex for sure.

Instant dry, reasonable ink costs and you can run really cheap uncoated stock in them.

We have Rolands as well but you have to use coated stock and the gloss especially must be run slowly to ensure it's dry enough when it hits the takeup.

rjssigns

Latex. I talked to BigFish about this very same thing. He ran the numbers for me and latex came out on top. I run a Roland and it is expensive to run posters besides having to wait for them to dry. We did a batch of 62 posters and had to hang them on a makeshift clothesline in the shop. No fun.

Billct2

RJ,
Do you rememeber what the numbers were? How much $ per sq ft for paper posters at the fastest/cheapest setting?