Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

poster profile

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by rushworks graphics, Nov 23, 2010.

1. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    is there a "generic" profile to print onto poster paper? i was given a sample of some poster paper from one of my reps but for the life of me i can't remember what the make/ref is for it. and the rep is out of town for the holidays now...so, i tried to do a sample print on my roland vp540i in versa works 3.3 and i used the glossy poster paper profile but it just layed the ink ontop of the media and pooled the ink so it ran. i then tried several other profiles but it did the same thing!!

Tags:
  2. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    nobody got any ideas on this one??

3. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    Make sure that the poster paper is intended for solvents. Even some of the waterbased medias I use will print not bad on the solvent printer. Other way around does not work so good.

I have bought some card stock to try and test print and it beaded up and did not soak in on either printer. It had that poster look to the paper and a bit of a sheen but not meant for either printer.

You should be able to use almost any profile on a paper stock and at least not have it pool up.

Do a test with the same profile and drop ink limits to 50% and see if the ink pools yet. Color should be way off but if it still pools it's not the right paper.

My thinking is not the right media for solvents.

4. CentralSigns

CentralSigns Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    I've been using the profiles for Photo paper with good results. I bought poster paper designed for Eco-Solvent from Roland DGA. I used regular 100 pound paper and had pooling of ink. Hope this helps some.

5. rushworks graphics

Jun 29, 2010
    thanks guys, it had crossed my mind that it maybe the wrong media but as hes my local rep and he knows what machine we have i kinda figured he wouldn't have made that mistake...however it would make sense! i tried some diff profiles even some standard vinyl ones but got the exact same results everytime, it always pooled and the ink ran like it just would not hold or sock into the media........

6. CentralSigns

CentralSigns Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    The poster paper I got from Roland was good stuff. Not sure what other papers are out there, but it will work nice. The paper even looks nice for pictures. My daughter is a photographer and uses the poster paper for her projects (bigger prints). Color wise it seems to work well.

7. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Your manufacturer should have profiles available on their website. Install those, then calibrate them with an i1 or whatever you use for media calibration.