• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Posting Protocols and Etiquette

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The need has arisen to discuss some posting behavior which is inappropriate on our boards. Certain classifications of threads are to be given a different treatment by posters replying than is the norm in most of our forums which we will term general discussion threads. Those classifications are the:

Classified Forums which include

• For Sale
  • Wanted
  • Employment
  • Merchant Classifieds
The different treatment that is now required in these forums is:

• On topic replies only
  • No direct negative comments of any kind
  • No referrals to other sources for what is being discussed
  • No hijacking of the thread PERIOD
The thinking here is that these types of threads are the threads of the originator of each thread. They are not general discussion threads. Anyone having a problem with the person originating the thread or its content should bring it up to me for a resolution or start your own discussion thread if there is a point to be made.

Some instances of bad etiquette:

• A member here offers a piece of used equipment for sale. Another member has strong, negative feelings about the particular line of equipment and voices those feelings. A flame fest follows and the member requests me to delete the thread and his membership.
  • A member here offers a piece of equipment for sale drawing some on topic questions. Another member here drifts off topic by announcing that he had something similar but cheaper that he just sold for a lot less money. Yet another member jumps in and offers a referral to a dealer that sells a competitive brand.
  • A merchant, having paid a fee for the right to talk up his products and in general to promote them gets assailed by several members who, for whatever their reasons, do not like the individual. The merchant is drawn into negative exchanges and everybody loses.
So let's all observe better etiquette on these types of threads. It makes everybody's experience here a better one and it's just the right thing to do.

Derf

You forgot the
donderwolk.gif

Bigdawg

Just Me
Thanks Fred. It's sad that you had to post it, but sometimes we all need to be reminded of common courtesy.

LOL Derf!

Replicator

A member here offers a piece of equipment for sale drawing some on topic questions. Another member here drifts off topic by announcing that he had something similar but cheaper that he just sold for a lot less money. Yet another member jumps in and offers a referral to a dealer that sells a competitive brand.

I never meant to step on anyones toes here and I have expressed my apologies to the
thread maker from this scenario . . . Sometimes it's tough to follow a thread
that has steered way off topic, but like with any verbal communication sometimes
you just want to jump in with a similar issue . . . I for one will think before I type next time !

:thankyou: Fred - for this GREAT FORUM :signs101:

RAZZ

I am finding that not only a new member, but one who has as yet to learn how to see my way around these kind of sites. Once an ignorant like myself gets the hang of it,it will obviously get easier as do all things, But for now I'm frustrated as how to answer my original Question that brought me to this fine collection of misfits in the beginning,, don't understand why "I" don't understanding..In the meantime it is I who is stumbling around in the dark shadows of your web site,,.,.oohhhh! ouch! I'm ok just Me

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I am finding that not only a new member, but one who has as yet to learn how to see my way around these kind of sites. Once an ignorant like myself gets the hang of it,it will obviously get easier as do all things, But for now I'm frustrated as how to answer my original Question that brought me to this fine collection of misfits in the beginning,, don't understand why "I" don't understanding..In the meantime it is I who is stumbling around in the dark shadows of your web site,,.,.oohhhh! ouch! I'm ok just Me

Here's a link to how to start a thread. that would be the best way to get a question asked and answered.

Pat Whatley

A merchant, having paid a fee for the right to talk up his products and in general to promote them gets assailed by several members who, for whatever their reasons, do not like the individual. The merchant is drawn into negative exchanges and everybody loses.

Fred, does that mean that nothing negative can be said about a merchant's product or are you strictly talking about the individual person?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, does that mean that nothing negative can be said about a merchant's product or are you strictly talking about the individual person?

No Pat ... not at all. But under it's own topic and not as a reply to a thread in merchant's classified advertising.

I think we should support our merchants whenever possible but that should not be taken as meaning that they will be exempted from criticism.

Graphix Plus Ink

Ok I think I understand so as a Merchant member you can Advertise extensively and as a Contributing member you can tag your signature with your website only, COOL. And as a regularr member you can only speak to other members without doing to top 2. I get it. I would like to put my web address as a signature so I have to purchase a contributing membership right?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Ok I think I understand so as a Merchant member you can Advertise extensively and as a Contributing member you can tag your signature with your website only, COOL. And as a regularr member you can only speak to other members without doing to top 2. I get it. I would like to put my web address as a signature so I have to purchase a contributing membership right?

Not sure where you got that conclusion. To self-promote yourself at signs 101 requires a merchant subscription. Our rules prohibit listing a website in your signature unless you are a merchant subscriber.

Becoming a Contributing Member subscriber unlocks the classified ad forum (subject to the rules stated there) and makes the premium forums and tutorials visible. You still are not allowed to have a website in your signature, user name or avatar.

Pat Whatley

No Pat ... not at all. But under it's own topic and not as a reply to a thread in merchant's classified advertising.

I think we should support our merchants whenever possible but that should not be taken as meaning that they will be exempted from criticism.

Sooooo.....does all this mean that Roger will be back soon?