• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Power Backup

NHuckaby

Hey Guys

they are doing some construction on are building so every once in awhile they will shut off the power. so what would be the best back up power source for a roland xc540?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tell them you have sensitive equipment, so they must notify you before carelessly turning power off.

rjssigns

What Gino said.
I looked at a UPS for my Roland and it was mega-dollar. When the platen heaters are on you're looking at the better part of 11 amps. For the rare occurrence a power outage would ruin a print I would never recoup the cost of the correct sized UPS.

At my former job I had them price out an industrial UPS at their cost. It was well over $2000 for the correct sized unit.

Tigertron

Tell em it's a dialysis machine. Contractors don't care much for sensitive equipment but life support will get them in trouble.

Otherwise a very expensive ups will do the trick but will only last 20 mins or so.

NHuckaby

They do let us know but sometimes it happens on accident and plus we would want to have one because you never know when the power is gonna go out

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Or instead of paying full retail for a new massive UPS.... do like we did. Be patient and look around for a good used one and just get new batteries for it locally. Do not buy the brand batteries of the UPS. They are standard batteries and a local battery rebuilder will probably have them for a 16th the cost of the name brand ones. For us I have 2 6000va Liebert GXT UPS Stations. One is essentially dedicated to our Mimaki and even printing full bore with the heaters on will run it for about a half an hour. The other provides backup power to the main design computer, the RIP computer, and the cutter. In the end I have about $250 each in the UPS's. They have paid for themselves a few times over now in saved jobs.

Tigertron

A 6000va ups is a good size. If you can get it for $250 that's a steal. Although the 30 mins you get seems rather long. Especially running motors. Could be though I'm not familiar with that ups and might have pf correction. If so that's better than a steal.

Even still we install ups for back up power in networks and as soon as you hear them beep it's time to start shutting things down or get the generator running. You have just enough time to get things turn off. Battery maintenance is a must. In normal use the batteries last 2 years. Cheap batteries even less.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yep - this model from Liebert does have power factor correction. It also readily accepts our 3 phase 240v delta power and acts as a phase converter. You can get different output modules for it for hard wire, twist-locks, etc with both 240 and 120 outlets. Also has Ethernet and USB monitoring modules. If you can grab one cheap they are a steal. Industrial grade ups systems tend to go dirt cheap because of their weight. The true commercial grade systems are near bulletproof though and like any ups will need new batteries eventually. Liebert, Eaton, APC, and a few others make commercial grade back up units. You can also find the big dogs for cheap but you will need dozens of new car batteries for those.