Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerwash

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Berferful, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Berferful

Berferful Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hey folks,

I'm a long time Printer and a newbie Signmaker with my Rolland Sp540 and Graphtec cutter. I've had success with posters, banners and some vehicle graphics. I have a customer that wants me to install 24" x 48 inch decals on the side of a number of trucks. The install will be on a flat surface with no rivets or any other impediments. Their question to me was will the decal stand up to powerwashing? I was going to use a Lg gloss cal vinyl with Oragard 210 lam.
    Will it stand up? Am I using the right stuff?

Thanks for your input,

Tags:
  2. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    there is pressure washing and there is PRESSURE washing. i know fleets that with care utilize a pressure washer for daily cleaning that have no issues with their graphics....and then there are the places that the cleaning crew uses the pressure washer like a chisel for removing debris and they have no regard for the cost of the graphics...for that situation there is nothing i know of other than paint that will do the job.

i think it is important to have a talk with the company about realistic expectations. maybe give them a test graphic and see if it meets their expectations...either way i would without a doubt have an addition in my contracts on this project to remove my responsibility from improper cleaning.

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    What Dan said. I have done septic trucks that get seriously cleaned evey day and the graphics wore out before they came off, but I would never guarantee that, and I always stipulate graphics should not be power washed.

4. jscarl

jscarl Very Active Member

Apr 21, 2003
    I power wash my truck, and even run it thru the cloth wash. But i don't try to power remove it with the wash. I used 651 also, and it's been there 3 years.