• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Pre 1980 brushwork of all kinds.......................

gixxer2004

A little bit of pinstriping from the 80's.

Attachments

• corvettestripes.jpg
    corvettestripes.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 299
  • corvettestripes2.jpg
    corvettestripes2.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 287

jimbug72

Too cool! Great thread Gino.

My dad used to do some signs and pin striping on the side in the late 60's to late 70's (His main gig was a high school art teacher). When I was a little kid coming up in the 70's I used to love to sit out there in the garage with him watching him work. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any photos of anything he did.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Keep looking. I'm sure they'll turn up. I just found a scrap book with quite a bit of my old stuff in it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Nice posts,
Pretty sure Old Paint would have enjoyed and participated along with everyone else here.

wayne k
guam usa

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So, I get a call from a customer saying they need their sign finished being painted. In my head I'm thinking the pole and frame and what not. They said someone started it but after a week was not working out and never finished it.

I arrive to find them actually referring to hand painting the letters! They said it was an old guy that "lost it" and they told him not to finish working after spending a week only getting this far. They were not happy about the spilled paint everywhere and catching him peeing on the side of their building. She showed me the design "proof" he made and it seems like something out of the 80s. WTF!? I've only been in the sign business 14 years and never seen this before... Now I see how it was like before computers! Come to think of it.. these water-color drawings remind me of someone on here.....hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Msu9H05FVDUyZywzwOu6aw_jijBuAEGkS7PIJbQm-G4NfSZjAwBlkn2WajkF42maTiARfEgOupOJBD_b8tHKPIYWP06mkrbSyB-2Le_YQLoDvwoAhQhY2q18hDYlBRkKILb7HIgphhk=w501-h669-no

fX3MO5iOR97cknaS3pcvtMHDhWbe5sreXx2tYmNGR95b__gWvFzltit9DMvzOcr2dGDTaewlyZy62FKm-QDoEBPlXIG_3cF-8foHrSiKCs8iXVcA_D4PWPgA5RLXjBzttrZxLwv0xesqiN5Rou0Mf-DlskKAEVPdEsghp9-vvB-5QEqJOAqx_NXnoeiTFQyEiqc9OYMFbJb8_2RYWmu8pqnjg9z0xPDteVx3Uaxpo6nSMbu1w-UhcO0tWJ_yLiG9ljvpYoNsJaOAcCpiRhfoab7urzm63oA9nwBryH5fMHJt2JK-l9cTmI0sKQaa5QLSQgTNKjB4g_D2o097ZRD9bh8kbq4sHCseSqUNVGt8nuegRrH901Jm0YuO86r0IDVCY4D0WpRRpI-6F8MesF-Hz726eNOn1Ngwnr-_-_kpCZ3BO0opHBsavooXJ_fziYOZ6C5WU1HvS8f_faKMjPyHycnnKlYdWY15Fkcv9cLlD-ZELnDIwJEBUZHomw5DkYj5RstyVgFNfuW-ZvDC7RKVy_RgPqlo9yT_3Mykthp_PI569P69v4nIH1rjSpLjzG9GrNkQtRl4q_rnsz3SxmffNaUl0CmFyxHc9oBV560HsN4fve6kBXVlH55OBnRElHzyh6v2Zuxq9_SNaSz2KI0MJVCL0T1UqNu8OQ=w464-h620-no

xfiREtVKH8LYg6X-Do2uRBTcKMVZQf1zf2kXuJjSrpeE-LTpgwErK7KOq2n25sDUGTgoegxFYSHPF_POhytiAoQbQYy6KKFt067vix6N8TP2fL5jJx1ciEesGYOvQvBJib25SMtOJsgUXt2qAxavJYFP1q4yVmyF2I7FTcpbHhfr4jHeKh5KS1lM5tJBQARRI8eLPwPs4ernrKOGlv74Za3l7JK3bddMsq03OCRIofR-0blAIzzqL6b3aI-1P1T7Z8vDXNqlOlsSC2Y49bPDqUD9a6f3nCzqApwrHivrdIARPTUCu7Jl03qTHxkEYq6mT1v0g8mD-E2I2K9jIU_de3386etP2iCDwTUVUouOsLgOBeyznZQk9QDURjUu7pCHb1tk1ClF9WuixTLTUXU_13fXp7GTngJi-0dRKDPYi10g7Wo5AvnkY2jBLshzkwDLJ5eB5OfjHX9nIc5lL_euiL84F677_hBG_BSrTiyDalXSfnwT5wC3mgLa9vuID8M8CMulH_g6oFQ8hfQNgGbs35GfgYcuxqEtgiG6jS_gsRb96tdAazGFgljp3Qedr0bYV5RBhoc1LXZJBpFWSuvtaQCAfFNVziLfAhIxyYo37WDk1ouSZuwwMeOS2dLAO-TF3p4BAhVZ3xNVX9SYZx7gU8gcJX-EwVvt3w=w464-h620-no

SignosaurusRex

So, I get a call from a customer saying they need their sign finished being painted. They said someone started it but after a week was not working out and never finished it.
I arrive to find them actually referring to hand painting the letters! They said it was an old guy that "lost it" and they told him not to finish working after spending a week only getting this far. ... She showed me the design "proof" he made and it seems like something out of the 80s. WTF!? I've only been in the sign business 14 years and never seen this before... Now I see how it was like before computers!

Those sketches are what we called "Color Comps" and that is how we made the "sale" back in the day. Sad that the old guy had hit "the wall" so to speak. Some hit it at some point and some don't. Some hit it for various reasons, whether it be booze, eye-sight, hand-to-eye coordination, or a multitude of other reasons. Regardless, it is still sad. I witnessed the progression first-hand with my first mentor and it scares the hell out of me. Sooner or later....:(

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I can tell you I would NOT be in this business if it was still painting.. looks like it takes talent and patience, two things I lack. Told them we'll get something printed, slap on new ACM panels and be outa there in an hour...lol.

SignosaurusRex

I can tell you I would NOT be in this business if it was still painting.. looks like it takes talent and patience, two things I lack. Told them we'll get something printed, slap on new ACM panels and be outa there in an hour...lol.

Agreed! I only still paint when I feel like it. A good way to go out...on my terms. The "Love" is always with me but sometimes I just gotta slap the vinyl and move on... Love / Hate!

Johnny Best

Great, you found him, my cousin is in a nursing home somewhere in Texas with prostate problems and dementia. He still
tortillas.jpg
has more talent in his left nut than you will ever have.

pjfmeister

My Grandpa gave this to me ..... Copyright dated 1938. The prices in this cover just about any hand lettering, sign hanging, gold leaf, office door lettering, vehicles etc -

Attachments

• IMG_20180221_080136.jpg
    IMG_20180221_080136.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 250

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here's a series of start to finish sorta using a small grid system and eyeballing the Mack Bulldog. This was around 1982. Took a day to lay it out and do the first picture and a second day to finish painting it then a third day to cut him out and finish off the edges. He's 8' tall and all but 8' wide. 3/4" duraply (MDO).
bulldog-1.jpg

bulldog-3.jpg

bulldog-2.jpg

bulldog-4.jpg

Oops, don't know how it happened, but they're not in order for some reason. They are in my box, but not on the site. Hmmmmm, got another one coming.​