• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pre-mask questions - long graphics

grabutty

Hi there,

I am not necessarily new to the business, but this feels like a newbie kind of question...

I have been doing vehicle graphics for 4 years, but always (by some stroke of luck) they have been relatively small graphics in size (no more than 4' maybe). But now, I am prepping for a job where I need to mask and install pieces that are 10' long by 7"... How in the world can I mask this? My work table is 6' long. I am not soooo worried about install, though I am debating wet or dry, but the masking is getting my brain all tired.

Thanks for any sage advice you can offer.

All the best,
G

J Hill Designs

do you have an elevated mask holder that the graphic can slide underneath? if so, put the 10' graphic near the edge of your table, so the remaining 4' runs off the table under your mask holder -- mask first 4-5 ft (keep mask attached to roll) -- slide mask back until the leading edge is now maskable, mask remaining (all 1 piece of mask)

hope that is in any way decipherable

:thumb:

SIGNTIME

do you have a laminator if so use that but it doesnt sound like you do... you can take a 10" roll of masking and start at one end of the graphic and go to the other end and when you need to slide more of the graphic on your table just place the roll on your graphic where it has already been masked or you can mask it in sections but over the seems you need to be careful and use firm pressure when applying

2B

Hi there,

I am not necessarily new to the business, but this feels like a newbie kind of question...

I have been doing vehicle graphics for 4 years, but always (by some stroke of luck) they have been relatively small graphics in size (no more than 4' maybe). But now, I am prepping for a job where I need to mask and install pieces that are 10' long by 7"... How in the world can I mask this? My work table is 6' long. I am not soooo worried about install, though I am debating wet or dry, but the masking is getting my brain all tired.

Thanks for any sage advice you can offer.

All the best,
G

mask in sections, there is no rule that says you have to do the mask as one piece. lay the masking on how ever much you want at once and then roll that section up and mask the next section. just make sure that there is SEVERAL inches of overlay on the mask seams

did a 35' trailer not too long ago and the masking table is no where near that size.

grabutty

Many Thanks!

I think my nerves are just getting to me on this, and I just need to go for it. No laminator, and actually no holder either, but I am thinking of rigging one up based on some other threads I saw on one of the other forums here.

:thankyou:

The masking advice is definitely helpful and I am sure I will be using it!!!

J

john1

You could do it in multiple pieces for the time being but i find when applying there are lines in the vinyl due to the seams.

I use the big squeegee mostly for long runs. Works good.

tsgstl

You don't need anything fancy
scrap 2"x4"s a pipe and a couple brackets

if your image is too big, mask half turn around and repeat

P.S. A good table is very important, mine is 5'x12' and can hold 1000lbs easily

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 199

grabutty

Went a little more crazy with this than I needed to, but...

it works great and was a lot of fun to make.

THANKS everyone for all the good advice!

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

:U Rock: :U Rock: :U Rock: :U Rock: :U Rock: :U Rock:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-10-26 at 3.17.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-10-26 at 3.17.02 PM.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 183

TammieH

We do these in one piece...Pre-mask roll is on left end of the table...slide the vinyl under neath the roll and onto the floor (we use a makeshift "catch" to keep vinyl off the floor and out of the dust) With the vinyl rolled out on the table all but the left end, pull transfer tape out to the right end, squeegee down as normal then pull the vinyl with premask to the right as far as needed (for longer pieces it will roll out off the opposite end of the table) continue squeegeeing and pulling both until you reach the other end...Easy Peasy!

Now if that makes sense, you are smarter than me ;) LOL