• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pre-mask recomendations for oracal 651

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
I have orafol medium tack that was working for a while but all of a sudden on a few new rolls of 651 its not even pulling it off the backing paper. What do you all recommend? Mostly vehicle/trailer lettering with a smattering of wall and window vinyl applications.

Melks

3M SCPS-2 High Tack Prespace works well for digitally printed and laminated cut lettering. SCPS-55 allows for a neater post production as it does not curl up on the edges of the exposed liner as much as the SCPS-2 in my experience. Both are great!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
651? Use anything you have handy.

If you have a hard time pulling the vinyl off the backing. it could be either the vinyl is old and or has been subjected to extreme temperatures both cold and hot, or far more subtle, you're cutting every so slightly too deep with a rather dull blade. The mechanics of the latter, as it was explained to me, is that the blade breaks through the coating on the backing and the duller blade tends to fold the vinyl into the backing. It may or may not be true but it sounds good and, when given the same explanation many years ago, a new blade, properly set, cleared up the problem.

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
Ok, great info everybody. A couple votes for RLA, 3M and Transferite. I'm going to roder a roll of each and see which one I like best. Wouldn't mind keeping a couple different ones on hand either.

651? Use anything you have handy.

If you have a hard time pulling the vinyl off the backing. it could be either the vinyl is old and or has been subjected to extreme temperatures both cold and hot, or far more subtle, you're cutting every so slightly too deep with a rather dull blade. The mechanics of the latter, as it was explained to me, is that the blade breaks through the coating on the backing and the duller blade tends to fold the vinyl into the backing. It may or may not be true but it sounds good and, when given the same explanation many years ago, a new blade, properly set, cleared up the problem.

Bob, I thought the same thing and made sure I had a new blade in. I've got my pressure at 75g and you can't even see the cut line in the backing. Weeds perfectly. The orafol tape is not very sticky at all. I'm starting to wonder if its the transfer tape and not the new 651. I rollered and squeegeed a graphic a couple days ago for like 3 minutes and the transfer tape still didn't pick up the vinyl.

Thank you again everybody for the recommendations!

Jeremiah

I had a problem with 651 not coming off transfer tape only once. It was when I did not clean/ prep the banner before applying the vinyl. I always clean surface before application. 651 always works like a charm for us .

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
I had a problem with 651 not coming off transfer tape only once. It was when I did not clean/ prep the banner before applying the vinyl. I always clean surface before application. 651 always works like a charm for us .

That would be just as frustrating but this is the exact opposite. The transfer tape pretty much falls off the 651. I'm surprised that an orocal product won't work within its own brand. I can try to wipe it and see if that helps but I'm just going to toss this stuff I think.

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
I use the perfectear plus GXP775 with good results, and it's also one of the cheaper tapes which is nice.

Gonna give this a try as well. Buying a smorgasbord of transfer tape and seeing which one is what I'm looking for. Thanks everybody! Lots of great help!

Signature Graphix

Wide Format Printing - Signage - Vehicle Wraps
Ok, great info everybody. A couple votes for RLA, 3M and Transferite. I'm going to roder a roll of each and see which one I like best. Wouldn't mind keeping a couple different ones on hand either.

Bob, I thought the same thing and made sure I had a new blade in. I've got my pressure at 75g and you can't even see the cut line in the backing. Weeds perfectly. The orafol tape is not very sticky at all. I'm starting to wonder if its the transfer tape and not the new 651. I rollered and squeegeed a graphic a couple days ago for like 3 minutes and the transfer tape still didn't pick up the vinyl.

Thank you again everybody for the recommendations!

One question that comes to mind is: Are you working in a high humidity environment? Leaving doors open to the shop as well? Long shot, but humidity will murder transfer tape.

d fleming

In Florida I have been using transferite high tack for years but it is just personal preference. Every time over the years that a supplier has talked me in to something better I regret it.

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
One question that comes to mind is: Are you working in a high humidity environment? Leaving doors open to the shop as well? Long shot, but humidity will murder transfer tape.
Oh you bet it will. I can say with certainty though that it is leaning more towards the "too dry" spectrum. But I'm sure in short order knowing Wisconsin when summer comes I'll be looking at 80 percent humidity.... Joy