• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Preference when plotting designs on frosted/dusted vinyl.

UberDapr

Just wondering what everyone's preference is when it comes to plotting crystal vinyl. Been working with Avery and 3m mostly. Just curious to peoples choice for who they use and why.

ikarasu

Mactac. I hate 3ms version of dusted and frosted.... It's way too see through, can't see anything with premask on it. Mactac lays better as well.

JBurton

Signtologist
Not that I prefer it, but I've used tons of dusted crystal, and ikarasu is down playing how freaking invisible the stuff is after masking. "Is this side up?" gets asked repeatedly. Any more I'll trace out key elements with a pencil when I'm done masking so I can measure without hating myself.
I did get some mactac for a printed set of doors, worked great, though I was sure I'd screwed up after install, as there were a ton of marks in the glue after removing the mask. A week later and it all settled into a uniform finish, but I was sure I'd be redoing it when I left site.

tulsagraphics

Mactac is much easier to use -- way less tacky than 3M (and less expensive to boot). I always digitally print the negative space on frost vinyl b/c it's way too difficult trying to find the cut edges for weeding. Just a light 15-20% black does the job, and it still looks fine even if the plotter gets off a tiny bit.

UberDapr

Thanks all! I've definitely heard great things about the mactac. I usually do all my installs wet, so tackiness hasn't really been an issue for me.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Oracal/Orafol 8510 is the easiest to install in my opinion.

If it's difficult to see the vinyl (ie: 3M) through the premask, I ask the sign company providing the vinyl to rub the outline/perimeter/edges with a construction crayon. Pencil lead can easily get on your fingers and find its way into the adhesive side of the vinyl when you're handling it. The crayon is a much cleaner and fastee method.

tulsagraphics

This is brilliant!
It definitely helps on detailed jobs like in the first pic (not yet weeded)... or when you have a ton of windows to do like the 2nd pic (1.5 rolls of 48" Mactac)

Attachments

• chrome_Oaodp2qmJ8.png
    chrome_Oaodp2qmJ8.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • chrome_cOfqoEcREe.jpg
    chrome_cOfqoEcREe.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 87

JBurton

Signtologist
It definitely helps on detailed jobs like in the first pic (not yet weeded)... or when you have a ton of windows to do like the 2nd pic (1.5 rolls of 48" Mactac)
Oh that's a cruel amount to reverse weed and install. Hope they paid through the nose for it!

gnubler

No kidding! That looks like a nightmare to weed and also apply. Lots of little pieces that might not release from the premask, and disappear in the mess.