Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Premium Vinyl vs Flatbed Printing

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by davearama, Jul 8, 2019.

1. davearama

davearama New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    COLUMBUS OH
    I don't have a flatbed printer, like most folks, though I can always get something printed whoesale.

That said, which will look better longer...

1. something printed on UV flatbed on DiBond/Max Metal etc or

2. vinyl letters using premium/cast vinyl?

Mostly black lettering with red/faded red logo (10% of total amount printed/lapplied)

Thanks

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Cast vinyl.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Cut vinyl all the way, provided you're using good vinyl.

4. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Agreed. UV ink has a shorter outdoor life than solvent or latex ink and premium vinyl

5. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    What have been your results in the past? It seems to be a bit of a silly question but there must be a reason to ask if you've been a member for 10 years

6. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    premium cut vinyl will for sure last longer. I give options to the customer as direct printing is faster and cheaper. Let them make the call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. davearama

davearama New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    COLUMBUS OH
    First...to equippaint...I don't have any experience directly with cast vs digital so not sure "silly" is the word I'm looking to describe my situation and that's why I'm asking.

I don't have flat bed so once I pay wholesaler and get a 4' x 8' sign made/crated & shipped don't think it'll be cheaper. I think it'll be more.

Looks like cast is the winner by wide margin. Glad to hear it because that's what I'd prefer to do. Thanks to all for your time and help! dm

8. Eduardo Massuda

Eduardo Massuda New Member

May 2, 2019
    This is my results In Houston Texas - AVG from 40f - 98f. vertical install.
    I have the 4 machines:
    UV flat bed Scitex HP550 - rated 3 years outdoor..... depending the area Fails about 14 months with no lamination.
    UV Flat bed EFI - rated 2 years outdoor ..... depending the area Fails about 6 months with no lamination.
    Latex Gen 2 ( L26XXX) series - yellow fails in 14 months ( specially yellow). Laminated.
    Latex Gen 3 ( Latex 335 series) * current I'm using.... Holding 2-1/2 years with lamination ( 3m IJ35C + Orafol 210 ).
    Roland Eco sol and Epson S40 - Holding 3 + years no lamination on IJ35C.
    I always use 3M series vinyl, no problems.

Agreed using Cut premium vinyls, life is 5 years to 10 years depending the area.
    Best of luck. Ed.

• Informative Informative x 3