• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

preparing old sign for new vinyl

tintshopplus

i have a custy bring me a metal commercial door painted with white enamel and old faded vinyl on both sides. this has been his sign for years. and honestly looks like it made a good one. i used my steamer to remove the vinyl. however, there is still some glue left behind that had pushed out around the edges of the vinyl over time. what's the best way to prepare this substrate for new vinyl. finish sander and repaint do the trick? thanks in advance.

tintshopplus

thank you gino. this project has me pumped to go buy a new sander. what should i get. finish, random orbit, belt? most of its use will be for signs of course.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For that and most other applications, I would get an orbital sander first. You can tackle big or small jobs based on the grit you use.

If you start getting into a lot of odd shaped wooden signs... I'd make a trip to the hardware store and buy all of them along with an assortment of saws and drills.

Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt and many others will do just fine. I just got a 10" double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter saw by Kobalt.... Lowes for home use and it's great.

washingtonsignguy

If repainting wasnt needed or for future knowledge, "rapid remover" works great on the vinyl adhesive. And follow up with "rapid prep" or a simple diluted wash, making sure all of the remover is off of the substrate. You can find these at most sign suppliers

tintshopplus

If repainting wasnt needed or for future knowledge, "rapid remover" works great on the vinyl adhesive. And follow up with "rapid prep" or a simple diluted wash, making sure all of the remover is off of the substrate. You can find these at most sign suppliers

hadn't done much removal and had forgotten about rapid remover. thanks for reminding me. have to get that on the next order. do you guys do a lot of removal? i didn't think i would see a lot of it. but, i guess there's a lot out there needing replaced.