• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

prepering... bus wrap

msenjur

hello.

how do approach to these kind of job? how do you prepare your templates? How do you do panelling? In what program do you work such big files? How long does preperation take you? How long is normal time to do the wrap, and with how many pepople?

We have just (not completely) finished one bus wrap. and i would like to see, if it is normal to waist so much nerves and time... or are we doing something wrong...:banghead:

grafixemporium

Everything in life has a learning curve. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. It will get easier in time, but every project has its challenges.

Search around on here. There's plenty of information posted on how to make your own templates, etc.

zapblam

City transit bus, no rivets, flat sides, front/back/sides/window perf = 2 days with 2 people. 3.5 days by myself. I do sides in 4 20ft panels starting at bottom rear, bottom front, top rear, top front. Its not the slapping, its the trimming of all the window seals/edges that takes all the time. And dont forget those drain holes in the window frames.

Everything is easier after you do it a few times. A bus is a hell of a lot easier than a car. Big flat wall with window frames and a rain gutter in the way.

msenjur

gfx; yes, you do have a point there...

zapblam; so you are doing it by horizontal panells? we were doing it by vertical panells... 9 x 1350mm... it wasnt city transit, it was traveling bus...

zapblam

In all honesty, I rarely do any vertical panels on vehicals any more. Only supplied decals. Only did one highway bus coach, was no more difficult than any other bus, just new locations of access doors, windows and other holes and such.

tanneji

we just did a 38 footer ... 10 x 48" panels on sides and 2 each on front and back. Our installer works by himself so he likes the vertical panels as they are easier to manage for him. Took him about 3.5 days like mentioned above. From job acceptance to finish took about 2 weeks.

WrapperX

File set up can be done at half size or any variation of fraction in your graphics program - just remember to upsize before printing.
Paneling is truely up to your installer(s). I prefer Horizontal panels because there is less seeming and I try to either cut my seems along a natural body line where it won't be noticed as much but its all preferance. And the more you do the more confidence you build in what you know you can handle either with a team or by yourself.
As for time. its a true guessing game until you've done one before. ie: Your first car make take you 3 or 4 days if you've never done one and you take your time and get used to working with it. But the next time you'll know what it was like the first time and adjust accordingly. Same with a bus. Better to bid more days then less. If you finish early then only charge for that and make the customer happy. Do what is comfortable and what you can gaurentee to be a good job. Worst thing you can do is sell yourself short and lose money on the job.

msenjur

yes... but i'm affraid that pannels wont match up, if i will print 11 meters! how do you export your files? pdf? eps?

ok. our first bus wrap was going on like this...

on friday 29.jan at around 14pm, we got confirmed job. Design came in around 17pm. The customer wantend that the bus should be done by Wendsday morning (it goes on trip in early morning). And we took measures on bus stop, when bus came in, and pepole were getting off... in meanwhale we took measurement... Offcourse everything was approximately, so, some prints didnt match (look logo on picture) So, we printed throu weekend and on monday and tuesday. Bus was ready to wrap on monday morning. So, by thursday late evening we manage to wrap both sides (with windows) and rear. We didnt do front and part above windows. I must say, that im dissapointed that the customer gave as such short time to do the wrap, and becouse of the hurry, we did a lot of mistakes, that we will must repair... When they were asking for pro-forma invoice there was no talking about such short time! So we probably lose some money and a lot of nerves! But job is a job, you can take it or leave it... and we took it... next time... we will insist to have atleast 1,5 week to prepare...

i attach one picture i have got...

Attachments

• 26012010.jpg
    26012010.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 84

WrapperX

I would charge them for any repairs to the wrap you have to make in the future due to the forced shortened turn around. It wasn't your preferred method of installation and you were forced to take shortcuts to meet their quick deadline. No reason you need to take the financial hit because they don't know how to plan ahead.

msenjur

WrapperX; yes, i think so to! But we will see, what will be... Bus come back next week, and then we will search for solutions! But you know, this is some important customer, and we are supposed to work a lot in future for them... eh, will see...

V-Engrave;
Really? i dont watch sports so much, so i dont know... Yes, it is customer design! And when we wrap it, they noticed that the dragons head shold be turned in other side (left). I know... Crap!!!