• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prepping for Installs

kcollinsdesign

Old member
It helps if you can visualize the job in your head before you head out. I order all my fasteners from McMaster Carr ahead of the job, they show up in a box usually the next day and I don't have to waste my time going to the store.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
There is a happy median... I don't overthink and I'm not slow... I'm nearly perfect.

Honestly though, your installers sound like a bunch of drunks in a truck... maybe you ought to buck up and find some better ones. There is a reason some people can afford to install so cheap, and there is a reason others (like myself) are more expensive.

Umm...shouldn't everything be field surveyed before installing?
My point exactly!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Good for you on ordering and having it delivered. I agree and don't like going Home Depot for fasteners. Not too long ago I was blasted on here for suggesting that people order their fasteners online and have them show up at their doorstep... seemed it was too much bother to go online...even-though most of us are already on the internet already..............................................................................................................................

jimbug72

I am in the way too long to prep camp, but that's mostly due to my scatterbrained nature. Can't bill the customer for my shortcomings. I just have to plan extra unbillable time that I lose out on because I am aware that I suck at certain aspects of this business. I'm salaried so the only person losing out here is me.

I really like the dupe sets of install equipment in a tub ready to load into the truck. We used to have at least 2 sets of everything but our "outside salesmen" who also did a fair bit of their own production and installs. They NEVER put anything back in it's placed and left/lost every single portable tool at least once.

Thankfully those clowns are gone now. It's funny, neither one was ever guilty of losing tools and they always put everything back where it went when they were done, but since they've been fired not a single tool has needed to be replaced and nearly every time anyone needs something it's right where it is supposed to be. (We all leave that knife or drill in the other room on occasion.)

Chuck B

Riff Meister
If you don't have a service truck, it's a no-brainer. Go out and get yourself a bunch of big Rubbermaid totes or big plastic tool boxes and equip each with tools needed for specific installs.

Store them on a rack next to the door and always have them ready to go at a moment's notice.

Yes: You'll end up buying duplicates, but you'll never forget anything back at the shop...which usually causes you to buy duplicates when you're on an install a good stretch from the shop.

One tote could be the "master tote" that goes to every job (includes all the basic tools needed for most installs: drill, bits, squeegee, razor blades, tape measure, level, paper towels, cleaner, etc...). Make sure this one is a different color so you always remember to grab it every time.

This should put a sudden and long-lasting end to the squabbles you mention.

JB
That's been my solution...rubber mate storage containers for dedicated purposes make life easier for me.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I'm confused about the question.

Me personally... I have a service body truck with everything stocked in it at all times, so I can just throw a banner in the back and drive away. Drill batteries are all charged, plenty of fasteners etc. Sometimes I need to get posts or something from Home Depot on the way to an install.

I usually spend an hour or so once a week cleaning, charging batteries and restocking the truck... but most of the time I just throw it in and go. Sometimes if I have many orders I may have to do some planning in how I load the truck or load signs on a trailer and strap them down... that can take 30 mins-1 hour if I have a bunch of stuff.

Kz4EBGDIB5Bmo393Yqh0REwPUkqNLB-RA8UH7_V2ltNpsFXy1tp5FLSZPYN8nM3VLhjjOsTDTOilEsv_Zz-aHnSNOIRR9s1Xpx8T982tMMsQ2lArU5hUpyr-HlO7YNwMDXxya3Pts4g=w1234-h600-no

RKmeU3f_jbIZJga3iJU9-d0ufZhCdgabejo8Fzx0t-Sbghz-377iHi7jhaf5pBCnnbKK3P46x-Vc1b7HbqGS8U-xsYLiaxJZanl0qevdd_-3MdEOoVryD4j67nK_A9im9QRr5Dk6IDM=w1920-h934-no

4PBFKAIILDt-z1dHFjOLAqeBLomllS797G1ca6Txkg_wjGO70qe79ec8ljPenwd-HFBk-C4frm8ONzOGEm7THaPFwpVfKa1M5OiFO3ulUwnwkyMwQei3cJBA_XLOfcshv7FTcekrpuU=w1920-h934-no

ElODYoYDN22pGFJqSH58PpscfhceAYGFA0vaxDQv6iS7b3GF-WEq2j9O4gpVAPEkZ62yxsFdtfys-MiiQl4JkQ_LNSOnkBffbT-Pryir_7duI1sqRoaQp2KSzBq9QjqzQPFYL-aZMOU=w1920-h934-no

This guy is dialed in!!! Nice work!