• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Prepping Signs For Digital Printing

Marshallmax

Can’t seem to find any info regarding this. I was wondering the best process for cleaning aluminum sign blanks before printing. The signs are white on both sides, so of course I know they’re ready for print. However, i was wondering if I could wipe them down with 99% isopropyl alcohol before printing. Or is it safer to use soap and water?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We use the isopropyl alcohol for all substrates - except foam core and acrylic.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yep - cleans up the oils and won't leave a film. Plus, it cleans off the occasional scuff or mark that soap and water will not.

StarSign

This is what we get when cleaning ACM with 99% this is after wiping and letting sit 20 min before printing.

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 120

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Wipe with Iso 91% and then dry and buff out. Looks great when you print.....
Personally, I spray directly ONTO the aluminum or coro or anything else Im cleaning that way. Its amazing how you see fingerprints or hand swipes on non masked substrates. Do not let the Iso sit on the substrate.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, what he said. Wipe it around cleaning it , but keep wiping til it's dry. Don't let it air dry or you'll get the streaks and hazing Star mentioned.