Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prepping vehicle windows

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Wesley Powell, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Wesley Powell

Wesley Powell Account Rep

May 29, 2018
    Lima, OH, USA
    Alright guys, I want to know what cleaning solutions or techniques you guys have found works best for prepping vehicle windows to help get rid of the film/rain-x that always seems to be on them. We wipe them down with alcohol like the rest of the vehicle but it just seems like no matter how many times we wipe them down it still has that greasy feel.

Tags:
  2. ShaneW

ShaneW New Member

Jun 19, 2019
    UK
    I use a super fine (White) scotch pad with isopropanol diluted 50/50 with distilled water for cleaning. This has always worked in prep for applying tints or fly-eye vinyl

3. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Bonami

4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    This^^^ or Bar Keepers Friend. I sprinkle some on a damp cotton rag and scrub away.

5. OPENSignsInc.

OPENSignsInc. Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Greenville, PA
    I usually use alcohol, but helped a window tint shop redo a vision print job (their customer changed their mind on a couple images) a couple weeks ago. The decal (70/30 briteline) had only been on a less than 48 hours and the adhesive was completely adhered to the glass (usually it will "snap off" but we had to scrape it off). They had just used DirtOff with a window squeegee after razor blading the window. I'll probably try this again in the near future and see how well it holds up (especially on front windshields where the wipers might come in contact)

6. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    We’ve used the Magic Eraser or Soft Scrub

Of course try in a small area first to ensure it does not damage the glass

7. Dr. Decal

Dr. Decal Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Charleston
    I use rapid remover, clean away, rapid tac, clean away. Over the years I have also decided that Newspaper is the best thing to clean windows with. Works better than microfiber or paper towels.

8. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Uh...from their website FAQ section

upload_2019-6-25_16-14-4.png

9. Category5

Category5 Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Orange Beach, AL
    I use acetone. It’s safe on glass, but keep it away from paint. Old trick I learned from my days as a professional photographer. Nothing will clean high end optics better. It gets rid of stuff like RainX on automotive glass quickly and easily.