• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pressure Issues with FC-7000MK2

CES020

Can someone with one of these do a quick test for me? We've been having problems since the day we bought this thing and haven't had any luck resolving it. The problem seems to be inconsistent pressure while cutting. One row of letters will weed like a dream, next line up, 1/2" away is a bear. Cut again, might be the same, might not.

I've always used the method of setting the cutter where I take the cutter out of the machine, put vinyl on the table, and draw out a shape by hand and see if I can weed it. But, I seem to get one to cut good, next one no good.

So while at Sign World 2008, I asked a rep there about it and he walked me over to a machine and showed me how to set the blade using the control panel (couldn't have felt any more stupid than not knowing that was even there, but we had zero minutes of training).

So he hits the button, backs the blade off, it touches the work a couple of times, then he dials it in, and you can see how many mils the cutter is down into the work. It was so simple and clear.

Come back to the shop, hit the button, back the cutter up, touches off, then tells me to dial it in. I dial it in. I have 2 mil vinyl, so I'm going for 2.1 or a little more to see how it works.

1.7......1.7........1.7..........3.4.........3.4....... back it off......1.7.....1.7...1.7........1.7......3.4.....3.4.....3.4..... check it several times......back down to 1.7 without me touching anything.

For the life of me, I cannot get it anywhere in between 1.7 and 3.4, and if I push the check button numerous times, I it will bounce back from 3.4 to 1.7 and then maybe back up to 3.4.

To me, it seems like it's inconsistent pressure, along with the fact I can't make it 2.5 or 2.3 or 2.anything. I called Graphtec, they blamed it on the material before I even mentioned the material. I told them I was using Oracal 751 and they told me not to use that because he wasn't familiar with Oracal (yes, he actually told me he hadn't heard of Oracal). I told them I had a variety of brands here, which one should I test it on, since it did it on all of them. He couldn't name any. I mentioned Avery, and he told me "No, don't use that". I mentioned "Trim", he said "No, don't use that". He wanted me to next day air him some material so he could try it. Excuse me, you make VINYL PLOTTERS and you don't have any material handy to try it out? I refuse to send them material.

So after no help at all from them, I'm here, asking if someone can see if they are able to dial in their pressure anywhere between 1.7 and 3.4 using the blade adjust feature. Once I know if someone else can do it, then I'll call the sales rep and bend his ear for a while. Anything but another call to Graphtec.

Thanks to anyone who can run this test and report back.

CES020

Anyone got time to run this quick test? Shouldn't take 3 minutes. Just need to know if you can get a reading between 1.7 and 3.4, since I can't make it do anywhere in between those two.

SignosaurusRex

If you are getting a good cut on one row, then another is bad, then another is good....i'd be suspicious of having one of the production run models that had some bad pulley's. Some models, especially the larger ones, according to Graphtec had some problems with pulley's developing cracks or breaking just enough to cause an issue like this. You can take the right side (start there first) cover off and inspect the pulley's yourself. Now this info is only something I was told by Graphtec. Seems to me that it would be something more of a malfunction within the pen carriage itself like dirt, a foreign object, something loose or out of alignment. Sorry, But I'm not gonna fiddle with my settings after what I've been through. I'm not busting Graphtec's balls here....I like the plotters, but sometimes......:frustrated:

CES020

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. Not asking you to change any settings on your plotter, just back the blade off, hit the "Blade Adjust" and follow the directions. It doesn't change anything other than the depth you have your blade set.

The problem I'm having with it is that if I cut one sheet, it might be the 1st and 3rd lines that are problems, then I cut the exact same thing and it's the 2nd line that's bad. I can't find any common thread or predictability in the problem. It seems to be completely random.