• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price goes up for a hole's?

JCGraphix

Just wondering if you guys ever jack the price up when a customer calls demanding and is a complete a$$ about everything and questions your ability and what not.

I'm doing a simple 2 layer cut decal for him and he wants three, they are about 16x5.5. Luckily i haven't gave him a price yet, should i add a couple bucks for me having to deal with him?

Thinking of charging about 15each. Too low?

2972renfro

How much is your time worth? You have spent the time dealing with the customer. You have materials and overhead. Open and or create a file for him. Set up, production, billing, etc. And now you have taken the time to post this thread and wait for answers? You are probably already losing money in the deal

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not seeing what you're talking about, it's hard to say what these decals are worth.

Anyway, this is s good reason to have a shop minimum. Ours was $85.00. Recently I put that up to $125.00. You'd be surprised how fast that gets rid of the tire kickers and A'holes. You'd also be surprised at how fast people order more to get their money's worth.

Had a guy in here last Friday... wanted a few words in black vinyl put on some clear acrylic. He already had the acrylic, it was from some kinda display structure. I said... is that all you need ?? Yep. Okay, it's gonna cost you $125. He exclaimed... WHAT ?? I told him that falls under our shop minimum... or he could just get four more and that would be $25 a piece. He got a total of eight for $180.00. Problem solved. Believe it or not, he's a kinda pain in the a$$ kinda customer, but his money still spends like anyone else's. :Big Laugh

Jillbeans

I call it the AF (@sshole factor)
Of course I charge more if they treat me like crap.
If I charge enough, they go elsewhere.
If not, I get a pretty penny for dealing with their crap.
Love.....Jill

JCGraphix

Not seeing what you're talking about, it's hard to say what these decals are worth.

Anyway, this is s good reason to have a shop minimum. Ours was $85.00. Recently I put that up to $125.00. You'd be surprised how fast that gets rid of the tire kickers and A'holes. You'd also be surprised at how fast people order more to get their money's worth.

Had a guy in here last Friday... wanted a few words in black vinyl put on some clear acrylic. He already had the acrylic, it was from some kinda display structure. I said... is that all you need ?? Yep. Okay, it's gonna cost you $125. He exclaimed... WHAT ?? I told him that falls under our shop minimum... or he could just get four more and that would be $25 a piece. He got a total of eight for $180.00. Problem solved. Believe it or not, he's a kinda pain in the a$$ kinda customer, but his money still spends like anyone else's. :Big Laugh

Never thought about a minimum. So the way you work it. If he wants two that are under 125 at a set price, if he gets more he gets each for a cheaper per unit price... I like that. Luckily my business class is this summer semester, hopefully i learn this stuff there! THANKS A LOT THOUGH!

+1 for sticking to a shop minimum

and ALSO +1 for A-hole (PITA) tax

For sure! He's got money too, he owns a Driveline company, so i guess its gonna go up a bit!

TheSnowman

My shop minimum WAS $25. I have a TON of repeat customers that are generally easy to deal with, and it's a easy job (which I know, it's probably still way too cheap) but I've recently been bumping it up to $50, and it has at least got rid of the "how much for this" phone calls that I get all day long, and they hang up, and I get back to work. For the walk ins, I normally have to explain myself as to why something so simple is $50.

For someone that's acting like a jerk, and has to have an instant number on a huge job, I choose an astronomical number, and I'll either get it right away, and get paid to deal with the jerk, or I'll lose the job, and never give a flying fart in space about the job I lost, cause it was worth firing the customer.

Si Allen

I call it Assclown Surcharge. Depending on the attitude and the mood I am in ... it will be anywhere from 25% to 3X the original price.

Mosh

I just FIRE THEM! Do you need the work that bad? If so get a job and put up with a boss. I do this cause I like making signs, not to make money or please every A-Hole that comes in. Be your own boss and elimate all problems and you will be in Zen like the ol' Mosh is! But be nice, just tell them they can't afford your service...that will get rid of them. The key is to BE NICE ABOUT IT!

Custom_Grafx

+1 for minimum fee and Gino's approach of using that to your advantage to upsell. Works almost every time. most customers think that things will be cheaper if they just ask for one, so they do that. when they realise they can get 4 for the same or just a little more, they'll get 4.